Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got bored tonight and decided to try to rectify a few things with my wife's 6mm. It is terribly picky about loads..... but, unfortunately, one factory load that is accurate won't hold together on deer. And I'm about out of the other one that is accurate, and holds together on deer and pigs.

Anyway... figured with nothing to lose.... pulled the bullets on 5 rounds (of the too-fragile load), and replaced them with some Hornady Interlock bullets of the same weight. Dropped the powder charge 5% to be cautious.

Can't wait to see how it does... need a pig to stand where I'm about to shoot and see if it all works out....

Anybody else end up with factory ammo that they re-processed? I have too much of it to just pitch it. 100gr. bullets aren't fun to pull with an inertial puller, but hey... what's time.....

·
38,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got coyotes a-plenty, but the problem is we're quite low on ammo that will reliably kill pigs (for that gun). Trying to frankenstein something together before the season starts!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Thought pigs were always in season in Texas, Mike! :D

·
38,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well deer season anyway. I think I have 3 Rem factory loads, and a handful of Noslers. Trouble is they don't shoot to the same point of impact. Got 2 boxes of Hornady 100gr SPs and I need to figure out if they'll hold up on a pig, before I load a hundred of them.

·
38,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it worked!

Shot 5 rounds into a group that I measure at 1 5/16" at 100 yards. This is a pretty light barreled gun and the bore is pitted, so you can bet I'm happy with this. The gun is funny; with stuff it likes, you can expect this kind of performance. With stuff it doesn't like.... 6-8" or worse.

Not bad for what amounts to a random powder charge selection and bullet seating depth. The stuff was very long grained and if I had to guess what it might have been, probably IMR-4831 or similar.

Just need a pig to stand in the way for testing... :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
Do some chronographing and report the charge weight and whatnot. Maybe we can work out a close cousin load. Hodgdon thinks Hybrid 100V is the top performing powder in 6 mm Rem with a 100 grain bullet, but that doesn't mean it's going to be most accurate.

If you wind up having to pull a lot of jacketed bullets, the Hornady Cam-lock puller is the way to go. I pulled 700 rounds of surplus one time to load a variant on Mexican Match, and don't think I'd be done even now if I'd relied on my inertial puller. I put the powder in a common pot and dispensed it back into the cases with better uniformity than Lake City had achieved originally. The extreme spread coming out of the cases was about 1.2 grains, IIRC. I don't know what kind of measure dispenses a spherical propellant that inaccurately, but whatever it is, the government owns one. Or, more likely, a bunch of them.

Anyway, powder re-dispensing is one of the pluses of going Mexican Match.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Been pulling bullets, dumping powder, remeter powder and seat new bullets on several military rounds for six years. Most have been originally manufactured by Wolf so steel cases are used rather than brass. Found the steel cases could even be neck sized for the smaller America standard 30 caliber bore size. Bullet weight variation with this ammo along with powder variations were principal causes of poor accuracy. Remetering powder and substituting American made bullets dropped group sizes too MOA. Only problem encountered was correct diameter 30 caliber bullets too use which was dependant on country of rifle manufacture.

Since originally doing the above have broading my efforts too include bullet substutitions on factory produced ammo. Results have been impressive with some combinations and average with others. Sounds like you have hit a winning combination with your efforts.

·
38,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hadn't thought about the Hornady bullet puller, thanks for the tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.