Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the correct way to use mica to lube case necks? I bought some reloading stuff from a friend and it came with some mica and nylon brushes. Do you dip the brushes in the mica, and then run into the case neck? Do you do this before or after lubing the outside of the cases (with the usual spray lube)?

Thanks,
Chris Ebert

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,019 Posts
If you use spray lube you normally don't need to lube the inside of the necks, as the spray lube will be inside, also.

The mica lube is placed in an open top container and the cases dipped to top of shoulder depth, or less. The cases are then pushed down on the brushes and pulled back off. The small amount of mica left inside the case neck is sufficient for the sizer expanding ball.

I've always found that I can run the ball of my index finger over the case mouths prior to sizing and the amount of lube on my fingers from handling the lubed cases is perfectly fine for lubing the inside necks. I only use the mica when adjusting the die to size the neck down to where the case shoulder is just slightly bumped and about 1/16th - 3/64ths inch of the neck is left unsized, for a good chamber fit. The mica helps show me the amount of neck being sized. After that, I leave the mica on the shelf.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've got a little container from Lyman that is mounted to the loading bench. It has three case neck cleaning brushs and an area for storing your mica, with a cover that slides on to keep things clean. I give the case neck a pew passes over the proper case neck brush and dip it in the mica, about half the length of neck of the lubed case, and then resize it. If you are neck sizing a case I would suggest that you still lube your cases in the conventional manner, lube pad or spray on, if you are using a neck size die. A properly adjusted neck size die, at least the Redding dies, will bump the shoulder very slightly to bring it just a shade under chamber spec for reliable function.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts