Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me, provide a link to go to, about michigan gun laws? after beiing away for about 28 years, we are thinking about moving back to the u.p. what are the laws about ak-47's and other possibly so called assault weapons.is there a list of banned weapons? thanks for any and all help. halfbreed

·
Banned
177 Posts
Hi halfbreed,

I almost can't type your name without feeling like I'm offending you. :)

Try Michigan State Police at www.msp.state.mi.us . They have the straight poop. As far as I know there is no special list of banned guns. I see semiauto AKs and ARs at shows all the time. We also have a new law that says if you have no criminal record or history of mental incompetence, then law enforcement officials cannot refuse you a CCW. We have a few good active pro-gun legislators, but we just elected a liberal democrat anti-gun governor, Jennifer Granholm. And we re-elected the ultra-liberal anti-gun congressman, Carl Levin. The next 4 years are uncertain. Pray about it.

The U.P. is still a wild and beautiful place. There's room for ya'. I live below the bridge (yes, I'm a troll) but visit and hunt in the U.P regularly.

Live well.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Redhead, first off, i'm half Scott and half Cherokee. and yes i have a full red beard and long red hair.and from livin in ky. for the last 26 years i have become a long haired country boy, with an accent. " just don't ask what the accent sounds like".
thanks for the reply, with all the hassles going on in the shooting community, i just did not know how the laws read up there.
p.s. watch out for the billy goat gruff :p
halfbreed

·
Banned
177 Posts
halfbreed,

We have a lot in common, including the Cherokee blood, red hair, and red beard (and everywhere else:)). Mine's not long, but I AM a country boy, and y'all might say I have an accent too, although not the same as yours.

Yeah, Michigan's ok. Just stay west of Lansing and/or north of Mt. Pleasant. Everything southeast of there is like another planet.

Live well.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ain'ta askin, i ain'ta lookin, and for everybodys sake don't post no pictures! now the miss'es tellin me to get the rubber boots out. she's afraid it's gonna get deep.
halfbreed

·
Banned
548 Posts
Boy, you guys would be fun around a campfire...

I would like to recommend to everyone a fine 62 page publication called "Traveler's Guide to Firearm Laws of the 50 States", by J. Scott Kappas, ESQ. Goes about $10 and has a 2002 copyright.

One page is dovoted to each of the states, and there is a scale across the top running from Total Prohibition to Total Freedom.

MI rates a 59 score, and looks like vehicle transport is a big problem there. Handguns may not be carried in the vehicle without a license to carry, but MI recognizes all out of state carry permits.

You may transport a handgun without a permit ONLY if 1)you are a licesnsed MI hunter, 2) a member of a MI recognized shooting organization or 3) changing addresses. Even then the handgun must be unloaded, placed in a secure case and stored in the trunk.

Long guns must be unloaded and at least one of the following: 1)broken down, 2)enclosed in a case, 3) placed in the trunl, or 4)inaccessible from the vehicle interior.

You will never believe the State with the highest score. On page 51 you will see that VERMONT allows you to carry hand guns concealed without a permit. Long guns may be carried openly or concealed in any vehicle, including the passenger compartment. Long guns cannot be loaded becuse it makes the enforcement of GAME LAWS easier. So, you can fly into Vermont, load you handgun and stick it in your pocket...that's a score of 100!

In this part of the country, liberal means free.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loader, whaaaat, a campfire, all we need is a stick to stir with! ;) seriously though, thanks for the notice on the book. now if we can just figure out why a state like vermont has such a low violent crime rate, what with everybody able to pack iron. and then the safest state in the nation being washinton d.c., after all they arent allowed to have handguns. boy that must be one safe place to be.:confused:
later all, halfbreed

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a downside for not having a permit requirement as far as "carry" is concerned. It can be very difficult ot acquire another states permit. Take the state of New Hampshire for instance. In order for a Vermonter to acquire that states handgun carry permit a Vermonter must supply a letter containing the following:1/ No known felony record. 2/ No "domestic" restraining order. 3/ Not known as having "mental" problems. 3/Mention that Vermont does not restrict concealed carry.4/If residing in a town with no police dept.(i.e. if the county Sherriffs dept. is supplying the "letter") that has also to be noted. Up until about 8 years ago, the State Police would issue such a letter. NO LONGER. I last recieved such a letter from the Washington County Sherriffs Dept.(after 3-4 telephone calls) This past August i again requested such a letter for a renewal for New Hampshires permit. After 4 telephone calls, i gave up.
Sherriff Edson did not get MY vote this past election, nor will he ever get it again! Also, donations to the Sherriffs Association have stopped. About all i can do!
Take care,
Scott in Vermont

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Scott, thanks for the update. sorry to hear about the down side. i just knew there had to be a catch. and yes i'm afraid we just voted in the same idiot again as well. i told him personally he had better have official business if he came out here again, ( tried to put an election poster in my yard with out permission ). i also told him why i would not vote for him again. long story.
later halfbreed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts