Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Marlin 1894 in 41Mag on order for some time. I'm about to order my fire lapping supplies. I've seen alot of posts on the various boards about the bores being rough. Darned if I can figure out why they went with Micro-Groove rifling on these rifles. The question I have pertains to fire lapping Micro-Groove barrels. Is there any different procedure involved with these barrels? Any tips or pitfalls involved with this procedure for this barrel type would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack,
I just re-read the Beartooth Technical Manual last night. I've never fire lapped a barrel that was of the Micro Groove variety. It sounds like it is the same procedure either way.

Since I'll be fire lapping this rifle when it arrives, I believe I'll do the same with my Blackhawk Hunter in .41 at the same time as my slugging indicates a little problem in the area where the barrel is threaded into the frame. The cast bullet accuracy has been good in the limited testing I've done with lead bullets in this revovler, but I'll be shooting mainly lead out of it in the future so I might as well do it at the same time.

From what the tech manual stated, this might take a bit of doing. Will gun degreaser or brake parts cleaner suffice for a quick cleaning of the chamber in either firearm, or is it best to give it a good scrubbing just to be sure there is no lapping compound in the chamber?

Thanks,

Steven

PS-The Canada trip this year was awesome, lots and lots of nice fish. The bottle of single malt I picked up at the duty-free wasn't too bad either.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ranch Dawg,
I have no further advice to add. The process laid out in the manual, with some caliber specific advice from MikeG, worked very well in the rifle in question. The rifle shoots great with minimal fouling. The brake cleaner works great, but heed Marshalls warning. I learned a few years back about brake cleaner destroying nearly any finished surface, like AUTO PAINT, that it comes into contact with.

The SBH Hunter took considerably more rounds than did the rifle, and with a great deal more work. I did take my dowel rods to the range, thank God.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.