Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to shoot an older Marlin 94 357 with micro groove rifling. I was all ready to be embarrassed by missing the 4" steel spinner I was aiming at. After all, I've read nothing but bad things about these guns on the internet. Horrible accuracy, can't properly stabilize bullets and such. I didn't find this to be true at all. If there is a difference in accuracy compared to other open sighted lever guns, it sure isn't much. After this experience, I'm not put off one bit by micro groove barrels. I don't see anything wrong with these guns.

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
Somehow,we've (at leaswt the old guys_ have learned to deal with two groove barrels.....it does take some adaptation.

Haven't found micro-groove barrels to be bad by themselves...but also does take some adaptation.

If you want to slam in reloads made "perfect" for normal 4 groove or 5 groove barrels, are likely to be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Yep, "read nothing but bad things about these guns on the internet. ". Remember most of what you read on the internet is either BS or just wrong.

well Marlin micro-groove barrels have probably killed more deer than ony other brand. And with millions of 336 rifles sold, it is obvious that hunters don't know anything about killing.

In the 60s when I shot comp, a few guys were shooting '03a3rifles with 2 groove surplus barrels. they often won matches.

Just my thoughts, but this is the internet so it could be BS or wrong! LOL

·
Registered
514 Posts
Odd, the only things I remember being said against MicroGroove barrels’ performance was with cast bullets. And informed reloaders know how to get around that.

MicroGroove was designed in the early 50s to reduce manufacturing time and was successful at that without much effect on performance. Marlin tried to spin it by saying it distorted the bullet less, was easier to clean, increased velocity, reduced pressures, etc. but IME performance was the same as regular Ballard rifling in the same action types.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I had a 336 in .30-30. Another one that I regret letting go. Don't remember if I reloaded cast for it back then, but I had a load using 170 grain flat points and IMR-3031 powder that shot great and killed several deer.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Got 3 Marlins with Micro groove rifling. 30-30 and 35 remington both shoot less than 1 MOA at 100 yards. Have a 44 mag that does 1.5 inches at 100 yards; a handgun cartridge. considering that none of these cartridges are considered super accurate; I think the rifles and rifling do a pretty good job.

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
Going to call "double BS"on microgroove.

First,becasue it was promoted as "better". That got a lot of people upset,even though multi-goove barrels are about as old as firearms. It's AS GOOD,I can't really see where it qualifies as "better".

Second,becasue a lot of lazy reloaders wanting to use lead bulletloads that had always worked in "normal" 4 or 5 goove barrels. Seems like the though process back then was that if it oned in one, it should work in all.....which is total BS.

(Which is also my view of the old two-goove barrels as well...just in the opposit direction from multi-goove barrels).

So what would YOU expect, thinking about it, for lead bullets needs? Two great big deep lands....5 moderate lands...a flock of ittty-bitty lands ...which is going to be hardness-picky? Include that you really have to fill the grooves in order to avoid lead bullet gas cutting.

Just becasue it's lead alloy/diameter "picky" doesn't mean you can't suit it's picky nature.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
They tend to have oversized bores. I had a .44 mag that would put cast bullets sideways through the target. Too small to be gripped by the rifling. Never got around to trying larger cast bullets, for one reason or another. My .45 Colt version of the same rifle did great, but I was already shooting bullets in my revolvers that were a tad oversized, so no problem.

Size the bullets to match the barrel, and generally no problems. Jacketed bullets have a lot more tolerance for being undersized. Simple as that.

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
Yep...it's fit so far as lead bullets. LEAD...have to take in account of the displacement of the lands and the shear strength of the alloy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I see. We were shooting jacketed bullets. They were those Remington scalloped jacket types. Which, by the way would never cycle in my Rossi. I liked this gun a lot. It was well made and I especially liked how easy it is to remove the bolt for cleaning from the breech. So the issue is with cast bullets? I don't make my own so I would be limited to the .358 diameter commercially cast types.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I had a 94 Marllin in 357 and it shot 6" at 200 yards loaded with 15 grs 2400 under 158 Gr. JHP bullet. I reloaded same bullet in same cases and same primers and used Blue Dot propellant and group opened up to 15" at 100 yards.
So load with 2400 and nothing faster and I think you will be impressed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've owned fine shooting microgroove Marlins in 30/30, 357, 444 and 45/70. I've also owned two .44 mags which never shot better than 4-5 MOA. I tried everything I could think of or heard about with those .44s, even tried shooting one with the mag tube and forend removed, tried different scopes, nothing worked for them.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My Marlin 44s shot about 3" at 100 loaded with 2400 and 240 gr. Sierras.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got 3 Marlins with Micro groove rifling. 30-30 and 35 remington both shoot less than 1 MOA at 100 yards. Have a 44 mag that does 1.5 inches at 100 yards; a handgun cartridge. considering that none of these cartridges are considered super accurate; I think the rifles and rifling do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have three Marlin® Microgroove™ rifles; a 1976 30/30 Mdl 336C, and two Microgroove™ 444 Marlin®'s. The 444's are older guns circa 1966 and 1988 with the slower 1:38" twist. The 30/30 has a 1:10" twist. All three rifles will group 3 shots MOA whether jacketed or cast bullets at 100yds from the bench. The bores slug at .308", .4295", and .430". When shooting cast I ALWAYS use bullets that are gas checked and sized .002" oversized: .310 and .432". You can accurately shoot "Cast Boolits" in Microgroove™ barrels if you remember that "Velocity is your Friend."

Regards...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't aware of the issue these guns had with cast bullets. That is a problem for me since I don't have the work a round of custom sizing them. Something like a 30-30 deer rifle would be different because it's not the kind of gun I'd be spending an afternoon blowing through a bunch of ammo plinking steel targets with. But for me, a 357 carbine would also need to be a practice gun. So, I suppose I would pass on a micro groove 357 94 after all. I already have a Rossi so I don't really need another 357 lever gun...but...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts