Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just sharing my customer experience with Midway-Australia so others would know what to expect when you deal with them. Where I make a statement, I either express my personal opinions or merely stating events.

Ever heard of Midway Australia? A business in Australia named with the famous "Midway" brand in the USA has come to our shores but doesn't seem in anyway connected to the Brand MidwayUSA.

Anyhow, I bought a large Primer Feeder for my .308W and a .223REM crimping die for my Lee Loadmaster from their website.

They sent me the below that out of the box looks used and dirty.

Now, I can live with this dirt, as long as it is working

The crimping die however... Takes in an uncrimped round all the way in without resistance and doesn't crimp.

Crimping die 1 (About to drop)

Crimping Die (dropped uncrimped round)

I'm not a rocket scientist, but isn't the round supposed to have a bit of resistance going it to be able to crimp? And that it should not go all the way in considering this shell sits on a shell plate and doesn't go that deep?

Naturally, I emailed Midway-Australia about this to report this issue, and a few minutes later, a bloke with heavy Chinese accent called me ordering me to return everything I bought in its original state and untouched packaging for a full refund and asked me not to make up stories.

He further states: "You dont know how to use feeder and crimp die. As a shooter, if you miss shot, its your fault!" He asserted that I just return the items for a full refund and finished the conversation there.

Now I don't know what kind of analogy he is talking about being a shooter, but I can sense the language barrier there as he appears to struggle to explain himself. I don't know about you, but this is not good customer service in my view so I ask all the shooters here to be cautious in dealing with Midway-Australia. That's all

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
I have no idea if "Midway Oz" is related to "Midway USA". Let's start with that.

The crimp die appears to be one of the Lee Factory Crimp dies. If so, there is a collet in the die that is specific for a particular cartridge. The die 'bodies' are potentially useful with a range of different cartridges. But the collet has to be correct

I would surmise that the wrong collet was put in the die body, at least, for a .223 Rem. Without some measurements, no idea what you were sent.

The other dirty part and the lack of language skills on the other end of the phone, no idea.

Hopefully some other Aussie members can help you find a good source for reloading equipment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Th crimp die looks like a Lee Factory Crimp die but you need to "compress" the sleeve into the die before it will crimp and then you will have the resistance you are looking for??

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Yup, the factory crimp collet die needs pressure on the shellholder to move the sleeve into crimp position. Try using it per the instructions.

Not familar with the primer seater pictured. Could the grease be in an area where another part of the tool rubs?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Don't take this wrong but any time a persons first post is a negative post my BS meter starts to peg. Seems like you took plenty of time to post edited pictures-did you bother to contact Midway Australia to ask them the same questions?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
Did you read his description of the phone call with them?

·
Registered
469 Posts
As others have said, you are not using the Factory Crimp Die properly, if that's what it is. You must push the sleeve up with the shell holder so the crimp portion compresses on the neck. The adjustment is done by screwing the die into the proper position relative to the shellholder at it's top most position. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! If it's not a Factory Crimp Die it can only be a seater die with crimp. If that's the case, it has been mismachined. I've never used a primer feeder, so can't help you there.

·
Super Moderator
13,191 Posts
Midway Australia is unrelated to Midway USA. The owner was probably hoping to get some free brand recognition using that name.

Unfortunately, the Chinese-accented person, while unforgivably rude, was correct; the OP is unfamiliar with how to use this kind of crimp die. He apparently expected a crimp shoulder would be present that would stop the case falling in, but the LEE collet crimping dies form the crimp into the case mouth from outside it by pushing it inward with a thin collet lip, so the whole case neck can fall right past the crimp profile when the collet is open, as in the photo. Until the bottom of the collet is pushed up into the die body by the deck of the shell holder together with the case, it does not start to close. Lee has a diagram.

The primer seating tool may have grease from a prior owner, but it may just be left over from manufacturing. Lee tries to keep their prices very low, and part of getting an economical price is not charging you for careful polishing and getting out the tool marks and, perhaps, in this case, some grease. However, while I have removed oil from Lee tools before, I don't recall ever seeing grease, specifically, so that may, indeed, indicate another customer had it and returned it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You only have to look at the websites to tell that MidwayUSA and Midway Australia have no connection except the name.

I am also led to believe that there is a "MidwayAustralia" ebay store that has no connection to Midway Australia website, not sure if there is no connection though.

Obviously trying to trade on the good name of MidwayUSA. (I am happy to be corrected on this but I don't think that MidwayUSA ships to Oz)

·
Super Moderator
13,191 Posts
I also emailed Midway to let them know their name was being copied and they confirmed they are one and only one company; the one on this side of the great waters.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I also emailed Midway to let them know their name was being copied and they confirmed they are one and only one company; the one on this side of the great waters.
Yes I think they copied the Midway name on purpose in the hope some gloss would rub off on them, I even thought at first there might be a connection, perhaps a subsidiary or something but it seems that is not the case at all.
A friend has bought a few items from them and didn’t have any issues and the prices were attractive, but still, I don’t like even the hint of sleazy behaviour and now that I know about the possible intention to deceive they will have to be the only one who has something I need before I’ll go anywhere near them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts