Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
they're only $15.00 high on those... i suppose if a guy need them he needs them. actually if that was their price shipped that wouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That's the price I've seen pretty much all of those primers going for lately. I bought a brick of CCI 200's a while back for $30, and picked up 500 Federal 210 GMM for about $20 a few months back.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Don't forget you have to add the Hazmat fee on top of the price, plus S&H charges.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
It depends

I am paying $30.00 a 1,000 for CCI 200 Large Rifle and $32.00 a 1,000 for Winchester Large Rifle primers. All the best...
Gil

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
I like Midways on-line store, and they sure have the best supply, but I wouldn't buy unless I checked out Midsouth and Natchez shooting supplies.
They are both usually cheaper.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I no longer even consider the hazmat fee, rather it's like a shipping charge to me. But! You have to purchase enough of a product where hazmat applies in order to make it worthwhile.

For example, buying 1K or 2K of primers and paying hazmat is not cost effective. Better is to add a few pounds of powder to the mix:

ONLINE COSTS
5 lbs of powder @$19 = $95
3K primers @$25 = $75
Hazmat = $23
Shipping = $10
Total = $203

LOCAL COSTS
5lbs powder @$26 = $125
3K primers @30 = $90
Hazmat = $0
Shipping = $0
Total = $215

Cost Saving Factor for 5lbs and 3K = $12

Figure that $19 Online for powder is a maximum (some are $16 or so, especially pistol powders) whereas in my local gun shops, $26 per pound of powder is a minimum. Also, $30 per 1k of primers is also a minimum, and would apply only to Wolf, IF they were that cheap. So, the cost saving factor just for that very small sample order listed above is going to be greater than $12.

Another benefit of online ordering is that, at the right sources, what you want can be found, whereas in the local shops, we often end up getting something less desireable than we wanted only because it was in-stock at the moment and what we want may not come in for who knows when. And.....when it does arrive, will we be there to buy some of it before it's gone?

I say go online, consider the hazmat just a part of doing business, and you'll come out ahead.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I no longer even consider the hazmat fee, rather it's like a shipping charge to me. But! You have to purchase enough of a product where hazmat applies in order to make it worthwhile.

For example, buying 1K or 2K of primers and paying hazmat is not cost effective. Better is to add a few pounds of powder to the mix:

ONLINE COSTS
3K primers @$25 = $75
Hazmat = $23
Shipping = $10
Total = $203

LOCAL COSTS
5lbs powder @$26 = $125
3K primers @30 = $90
Hazmat = $0
Shipping = $0
Total = $215

Figure that $19 Online for powder is a maximum (some are $16 or so, especially pistol powders) whereas in my local gun shops, $26 per pound of powder is a minimum. Also, $30 per 1k of primers is also a minimum, and would apply only to Wolf, IF they were that cheap. So, the cost saving factor just for that very small sample order listed above is going to be greater than $12.

Another benefit of online ordering is that, at the right sources, what you want can be found, whereas in the local shops, we often end up getting something less desireable than we wanted only because it was in-stock at the moment and what we want may not come in for who knows when. And.....when it does arrive, will we be there to buy some of it before it's gone?

I say go online, consider the hazmat just a part of doing business, and you'll come out ahead.
Stretch,

Can't argue with the math, but I don't think folks are looking to spend $200+ on a single purchase of reloading supplies. I know a lot of people reload in greater quantities than I do, but 5lbs of powder and 3K primers would last me at least a couple of years. I picked up 1K Winchester LP primers at the local gun show, but after parking and the entrance fee (and what little value my time has) I was not much further ahead than if I'd ordered online. Maybe you've got the right approach here...do a little planning and get a bunch of what you'll need all at one time.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Yes, that's true Broom and good point, and in order to capitalize on cheaper online prices, and still get away without suffering badly to hazmat, larger quantities of "hazardous" supplies must be purchased. Still though, even IF a guy could only break even after paying hazmat, the biggest draw to internet shopping is availability of product. In my area (that's all I can really speak of), getting the powder and primers I want is sometimes futile. So I save and order in bulk....I realize not everyone can do that or shoots enough to do so.

If a fellow only needs a brick of primers and a pound of powder, then the local shop is the only way to go.

·
Registered
354 Posts
CCI 200 runs $34.00 a thou here at a local shop, with most powders from 20-25 per pound. Great prices, plus the owner is great to visit with.

·
Registered
56 Posts

ONLINE COSTS
3K primers @$25 = $75
Hazmat = $23
Shipping = $10
Total = $203

LOCAL COSTS
5lbs powder @$26 = $125
3K primers @30 = $90
Hazmat = $0
Shipping = $0
Total = $215

I didn't think that you could ship powder and primers on the same Haz-mat fee.

The only other thing I see is that there was no tax added on the locally bought stuff which can vari quite a bit. Taxes on the online merchandise would only apply if you're buying from a retailer that has a store within your state.

My last online powder purchase cost me $358 for 2 8lb and 1 4lb jugs for a total of 20lbs of powder. That's $17.90/lb, and that includes shipping and Haz-mat fees.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Good eye, Txhunter. I forgot tax on the local stuff, which just increases the cost factor savings. Yes, you pay hazmat only once, as long as the entire order ships together (maybe in just one box, I don;t know).

·
Banned
107 Posts
Still pretty lucky to be able to buy all my supplies locally. CCI primers at $27/1000 and most powders at $20/lb. Lately there has been a good supply of them.:)

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
The original post said benchrest primers I think! I've never bought any benchrest primers are they more expensive? Are we comparing apples to oranges?:confused:

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
UPS sets the HAZMAT fee. Powder and primers must be in seperate containers with seperate HAZMAT charges for each last I knew?

The "buddy system" is the best way to play that game. Cram as much powder or primers into one box at one HAZMAT fee as you are able. That is how the stores do it so as to maximize cost vs. profit.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
139 Posts

ONLINE COSTS
3K primers @$25 = $75
Hazmat = $23
Shipping = $10
Total = $203

LOCAL COSTS
5lbs powder @$26 = $125
3K primers @30 = $90
Hazmat = $0
Shipping = $0
Total = $215

Where online are you finding primers that are available for 25 per 1000? Large rifle$ Luckily I have a couple small honest shops within 40 minutes of home where powder is still 19 or 20$ a pound for the more expensive powders and primers are under 30$ for 1000. But once in awhile they don't have a powder I want, but neither do the online places at that time either. Another shop that's not too far away has lots of primers but they want 40$ for them, I suppose that's why they have lots of them. The gun show guys seem to think primers are worth 40$ also. Also I have a hard time finding anything I need online, bullets in particular. I only load rifle cartidges though, maybe pistol stuff is different.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Powder Valley. Yes, primers and powder ship together.....right, or wrong, they ship.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I ordered some primers from Cabelas last year, they were all on backorder and Cabelas shipped them in 3 seperate packages all under one hazmat fee.

Normally I buy locally, right now CCI primers are easy to get, I prefer Remington primers, and I have a lot on hand, so I'll wait until the Rems come in, but the price in the original post is right on par with locally priced BR2s. Other CCI primers run $28-$34.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts