Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just gotten a Ruger #1 375 and want to develop a practice load.  I've looked in Lyman manual and found light loads (13-18 grains) of Unique.  I have Unique on hand and have loaded some 16 grain loads but have not range tested yet.  Anybody have experience with Unique loads in large cases such as 375?  Manual said to use without a filler.  I've seen data for XMP-5744 which looks good, but haven't found this powder yet in local stores.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
#Moderation Mode
Bob,

I moved your post here to keep it with the rifle cartridges and information.

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=6&topic=11" target="_self">Moved here</a>

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Bob,

Your information on the light loads using Unique are right on the button, in fact a very similar load that has worked well in the past for me is posted below, along with some other loads that have proven very accurate in the .375's I've tested over the years.

They are listed in ascending order according to velocity, not preference.   All five of these loads have proven themselves consistent and accurate in more than one rifle.  Hope they help!

BTB .377"-250g LFNGC/18.0g Unique/CCI 200/Win Brass/1465 fps

BTB .377"-250g LFNGC/22.0g Blue Dot/CCI 200/Win Brass/1613 fps

BTB .377"-250g LFNGC/32.0g IMR 4198/WLRP/Win Brass/1581 fps

BTB .377"-250g LFNGC/38.0g IMR 3031/WLRP/Win Brass/1612 fps

BTB .377"-250g LFNGC/36.0g XMP-5744/WLRP/Win Brass/1882 fps

Hope these help!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for  your quick and helplful reply.  I look forward to using your bullets.  Is there any reason to favor the spire point over the flat point 375?  I would think that at low velocities the flat point would be a better game bullet with more shock transmitted.  Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Your observations are absolutely right.  My choice for game if velocities in the .375 are going to be under 2400 fps is the LFN profile, letting the meplat do the work and create the wound channel.  However, over 2400 fps, the .375 H&H really shines when using an annealed nose spire point 255g gas checked bullet.  The trajectory over 300 yards is much flatter with the spire point profile, and when annealed, it is quite a game stopper at that range.

Like you said however, at the modest velocities of the loads listed here, the LFN is the bullet of choice.  You aren't likely to be using them at long range, starting them at these velocities, and you don't have enough velocity to consider anything but the wound channel created by the flat meplat.

You'll enjoy cast in your .357 H&H.  They are fun, economical and very effective!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, how do you anneal the nose of your spire point profile cast bullet???I would like to be able to do this...

God Bless
Josefczyk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info, Marshall. I'll be adding some bullets for my .375 H&H to my next .458 Piledriver order. The Piledrivers are great in .45/70. Next, I'll load them in .450 Nitro Express x 3 1/4".

·
Registered
312 Posts
bobc,

I have loaded reduced loads for the 375 HH and other cartridges for a long time. Unique will work but I would use a filler. I use a tuft of kapox.

A better reduced load filler is SR 4759 and loads are everywhere for it for decades.

5744 will work also but it does not fill the case as well as 4759, Its just some foreign item.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts