Shooters Forum banner

millett or Nikko stirling?

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Daryn 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm looking for an extremely low budget scope, but a scope that can still hold a decent zero, with the tactical look to it. I've narrowed down my two scopes to a Nikko stirling target master 4-16x44 and a millett trs-1 4-16x50. I'll be putting this on a 308, planning to shoot maybe a 3 inch group at about 300 yards, that would be great. The milletts seem well built, but the Nikko's do as well, and look more user friendly. I can't decide, please give me your input!

#2 ·
No experience with either the Millet or the Nikko Stirling, but I would doubt a lower cost 4X16 scope is going to have reliable repeatability and usable optics when combined with the recoil of a .308. 16 power magnification means nothing if the view is blurry, a lower powered scope with good glass will allow you to see much more detail. I would buy a 3X9 or 4X12 of decent quality if you are just shooting 300 yards.

#5 ·
Had a Nikko come on a package deal. I don't remember the exact particulars, but it was a nighteater with a 50mm obj.
Honestly was like something out of a cracker jacks box. Mid-day sun it was fine, but dimmed with magnification some; but mostly yellowed. Was a complete train wreck for night use, ironically enough. The clicks weren't very accurate, sometimes move less or more than the stated click value. That was the killer for me, I never knew when the adjustment was right out wrong. Suddenly you start second guessing yourself, maybe the target is 900 miles away...... Not good.
To it's credit, it would hold zero. And I was not kind to it.

Perhaps they've changed.
YMMV

Reactions: Tnhunter
#6 ·
To shoot 300 yards you don't have to spend $600.00 you can spend under $200.00 for a decent 3X9 that will be much clearer and more likely to hold a zero for a lifetime rather than a scope that is poorly built and will probably have to be replaced in short time. I have used some Vector & Mueller optics and they are clear with better glass than the price suggest-don't think I would use one on a larger caliber rifle though. This is coming from someone who has dust come out of his wallet when he opens it.

#7 ·
For about $250 you can buy a 4-12 Nikon Prostaff, VX1 or Leupold Rifleman scope. Pay once and skip lookong again in 6 months after you toss the cheapie.

Reactions: fyimo and bsn
#8 · (Edited)
I don't know about the Nikko scopes but I do have a Millett Buck Gold 4-16x56, 30mm tube, SF knob, target turrets, duplex reticle. It's on my 25-06 and has at least 250 rounds on it. I have yet to rezero it, it's held it's zero the entire time. It's fully multi-coated lens are quite clear and have a crisp picture. Mine has the turret lock knobs and you have to remember to unlock them before turning the turret knobs if you want/need to adjust it. Another choice to include with the ones mentioned is at Natchez Shooter Supply, Weaver Buck Commander line on sale and I've heard for the price their nice scopes.

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/WE94575.jpg

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm... Buck Commander Scope Command-X Reticle Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...x42 Buck Commander Scope Dual-X Reticle Matte

I was lucky and bought mine before Bushnell took over, fortunately from what Harry says I got lucky.

#9 ·
I sort of agree with BSN. I have the Millett 4-16x56, 30mm tube, SF knob, target turrets, duplex reticle, and lighted Reticle. Lots of features in a reasonably priced scope.

Millet is now owned and made by Bushnell, in China. Mine was a transition scope when bushnel was figuring what to do after the purchase. If I had know that, I'd have not purchased it. I bought on Millet name; and lost.

I have it on a 308 win. If i was to repurchase, I'd kick out another $300 and go to better mechanicals.

If you go with any scope with a 30 mm tube (why???) remember most of the available mount for 30 mm are more costly.

#11 ·
Nikko is a very low end scope. It is common to be the cheap scope on package deals for Howa/vangard, axis, savage etc.

Most of the models I've seen were marked made in China.

In scopes you get what you pay for. you can certainly pay mega bucks for a scope; but the decent scopes start at about $250 and up.

#14 · (Edited)
The Milletts seem well built, but the Nikkos do as well, and look more user friendly. I can't decide, please give me your input!
I have the big 6-25 x 56mm LRS-1 Millett. I just today bought an $1100 Vortex Viper PST-624F1-A in 6-24 power that doesn't seem to produce any better picture than the $400 Millett. The test standard is some lettering on a building 432 yards away. Looks just as "underwater blurry" through the Vortex as is it does through the Millett. I have just one Nikko scope, the 3.5-10X something or other; came on my Howa 1500. I guess it's clear enough. I've never spent more than a minute looking through it. The gun came home, the scope came off and into the closet it went-- into the box of other cheapo scopes I've made the mistake of buying in the past.

I decided to buy a Nightforce NXS 8-32X x 56mm scope today. Cheap at $2100 plus NV's 8% tax. Horrors!! The thing was not FFP. I almost fainted. How can you build such a world-class scope-- and not make it FFP??? I was crushed. I wanted the Nightforce so I could zoom it up to 24 to 28 power and keep it below the maximum zoom, where aberrations show up. But I'll be dam-ned if I'll pay over $2300 (add $60 for rings) and not get FFP. So it stayed in the case and the Vortex (with FFP) followed me home. I sure wanted that Nighforce, but sacrifices had to be made. I will not compromise...

Update: See Post Number 11: http://www.shootersforum.com/rifle-shotgun-handgun-scopes/92378-advice-10-22-base.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.