Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I recently acquired a woven cartridge belt,  for 20 guage shells, in a local pawn shop.  I'm not a collector, but apparently it has some collector value.  The pawn broker later informed me that he had seen another identical to it that had sold on ebay for 100.00.

I'm hoping that some of the S.A.S.S. and C.A.S. shooters recognize the type of belt it is and give me some input as to its value and significance.

Description:

brown, woven adjustable belt with C-type clasp, closed bottom cartridge pockets (25)

Brass belt ends stamped with "MILLS" logo inside rifle cartridge outline and "PATENTED APR. 18,1905"

Other side reads, "MILLS WOVEN CARTRIDGE BELT CO WORCESTER, MASS U.S.A."

Thre rivets hold the brass belt ends in place.  It appears to be exceptionally well made.

I would appreciate any input.  It appears practically new, which causes me to question its age.

Cordially,

Smith

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Not quite sure where to put this as I am more interested in the dueling information…

General Anson Mills’s biography is titled: My Story. General Mills is a very interesting fellow.

The section on the Mills belt, its development and adoption is interesting and starts on page 310.

The section on Dueling and personal combat starts at page 337 is also very interesting.
The book is available on Google books at the link below.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YlXd_UL-S-kC&printsec=frontcover&dq=my+story&lr=&as_brr=0&ei=8dR9SvLqFIjszAS8h_XCCg#v=onepage&q=&f=false

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gentlemen,

I recently acquired a woven cartridge belt, *for 20 guage shells, in a local pawn shop. *I'm not a collector, but apparently it has some collector value. *The pawn broker later informed me that he had seen another identical to it that had sold on ebay for 100.00.

I'm hoping that some of the S.A.S.S. and C.A.S. shooters recognize the type of belt it is and give me some input as to its value and significance.

Description:

brown, woven adjustable belt with C-type clasp, closed bottom cartridge pockets (25)

Brass belt ends stamped with "MILLS" logo inside rifle cartridge outline and "PATENTED APR. 18,1905"

Other side reads, "MILLS WOVEN CARTRIDGE BELT CO WORCESTER, MASS U.S.A."

Thre rivets hold the brass belt ends in place.  It appears to be exceptionally well made.

I would appreciate any input. *It appears practically new, which causes me to question its age.

Cordially,

Smith

My granddad was issued a belt like yours, along with a Win. 1897 mod. trench gun, durring WW1. (12ga. or 20ga. unknown.).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts