Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have just aquired a new to me FN49 semi auto in 7 MM Mauser. I have been told that the military bolt guns can handle the hot milsurp rounds but the semi autos can't ? I have looked everywhere at 7 MM Mauser reloads and see no references for semi auto rifles. Can someone with experience with older Milsurps get me going on the right path ? I don't want to harm this rifle. Thanks for your time. :confused:

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
HIGHRPM,

Why are you looking at 7mm Reloads for your rifle? I have an ABL 7X57MM Model 49 Rifle and bought a few boxes of Remington Factory 140 grain ammo, shot it off, reloaded the brass and am still shooting it. I use IMR4895 powder, CCI primers and 140 grain Hornady bullets. The ABL will handle any military 7x57MM ammo you feed it.

Webley

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fn49

For exactly what I stated. The gun is new to me, and all the info I found stated that the semi auto FN49 needs a lighter load than the bolt guns. I am assuming it's the same reasoning that my Garand only shoots a certain types of rounds thats formulated for it . I was told long ago, that the older semi autos needed a powder that gave it a certain type of pressure wave to work the action properly but not to abuse the operating parts. Thats why I asked the question, because I did not know and want to be safe. How many grains of IMR4895 do you tend to use behind the 140 grain bullet ? Any idea of the velocity? You can learn alot by asking questions, as I don't and never will know everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ever since I have gotten it, it's been in a safe and I have been out of town. So right at this moment I would have to say sorry, I don't know. Yah I know, bad on my part, but I have far to many things keeping me busy and I am not getting the time I need to sit down and really learn about the rifle. I hope it does as it will give me a bit more flexability.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
The ABL M49 semi-auto does not have an adjustable gas system. It has an "A" or "B" setting; one is open and the other is closed for launching grenades. IMR 4895 is a safe powder for the M49 and 140 grain bullets. It is not as sensitive as a Garand regarding gas pressure curves because the M49 has a direct gas piston impulse while the Garand has an oblong and crooked operating rod set up.

My accuracy load is 41.5 grains of IMR4895 and a jacketed 139 grain spitzer bullet. Note: the Max charge was 43 grains in the 47th edition of the Lyman reloading handbook and the Max in the 49th Lyman book is 38 grains.

The ABLs are nice rifles; I have the .30-06, 8X57MM and 7X57MM.

Webley

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I also used to have a Venni FN49 in 7x57mm. IIRC the gas system is adjustable under the top handguard. The manual specifically states that the gas sleeve is adjustable. You can also use it as a straight pull bolt action by cutting off the gas (set the grenade launching plug to "G") The ABL/SAFN/FN49 (different names, same gun) was the fore runner of the FN FAL.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/FN49Manual.pdf

CD

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Combat Driver,

You are correct and I stand corrected. The ABL M49 FN rifle does have a sleeve right behind the front sight to regulate gas pressure. It has been a while since I handled my FN M49 "Vault Queens" and I forgot about the gas adjustment sleeve.

Webley

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
170 Posts
I know this is an older thread but as I have absent for a while here is my 2 cents:

I currently have 3 FN49's. One in 7MM, 8MM, and a 30/06. When changing ammo lots or country of mfg I always start with the handguard removed, the gas vent wide open, and the magazine removed. This last item gives gas from a case head failure or slam-fire a place to go without destroying the mag or stock. I only load single round and fire it to see what it does and how far it ejects. I close the vent a click or two at a time until ejection of about 6 to 10 feet is achieved. Does yours have a 1 piece or 2 piece firing pin?
Be sure to keep the firing pin channel and the pin clean and dry. No grease or oil as it can gum up and that is a suspected cause in slam fire incidents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts