Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can you expect out of a mini mag by cci..is it a good hunting rnd.
its not a hollow point but ive heard good things..
most of my rifles are sighted to velocitors..will i shoot about the same impact point as the veloscitor..that pointed nose ought to be accurate ,im thinking.. thats what really matters in the long run..opinions an input welcome. slim..
ps ..i must be about the only person whos never tried them.. :)

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
slim 60,
I know your a fan of velositors. Also know you have a difficult time finding them.

My opinion is; to find the most accurate ammunition you can for your firearm. May or may not be a "enhanced performance" cartridge.

My limited experiance small game hunting has been very positive with standard velocity ammunition with conventional bullet shapes so long as I don't "over-extend my ability to make a good shot".

My favorite rifle will do a squirrel head out to about 90 yards from the bench (on a nice day). Not so far in the woods mostly due to conditions at the time! Might be near half of that under some circumstances +/-?

At 50 yards(or less), target velocity round nose bullets are perfectly capable of havesting small game if shot placement is good.

ps.. I have not tried mini-mag either. You are not alone!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I shoot Mini-Mag hollow points in my Ruger 10-22 because they produce the best combination of accuracy and lethality I have found so far.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Saskshooter: Then that's what I'd use. I too use Velocitors in my 10/22. I tuned it for just that round and love it. But my rifles will shoot the mini-mags just fine. Not as accurate as the Velocitors but they'll do. I don't have any problem yet finding the Velocitors yet, but I expect I might. Seems everyone else is.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Slim,

I agree with Cheezywan. I shoot CCI SV in a lot of my guns because that's what they shoot most accurate on a consistent basis. i started with them when I got my first S&W model 41, and ever since I find they shoot extremely well in most anything. I also use CCI CB Longs around the house for squirrel control. They are accurate and deadly out to 25-30 yards with no problem at all, and they are almost as quiet as an air gun so the neighbors don't hear and complain.
I do shoot mini-mags in some of my rifles as well, and they seem to be pretty accurate. To me, CCI is about the best all around 22 ammo manufacturer. I can't say I ever had any round from them I wasn't happy with. On the other side, I'll never buy another 22 round from Remington unless they are absolutely the only thing left!

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well i tried them .. at 50,yrds real good 4 shot group with a flyer ,,which im sure was my doing..my rifle is zeroed at 50..
i got no difference or drop at 70..
at first i held over a tad ,,but it just went over the target..so i aimed dead on ..
4out 5 hits again. with my cz, on a egg size rock..
well at least it won t cost so much to learn the rnd.. thanks for the input..slim
ps.im a hollow pt man ..sinbad ,where you find the velocitor..nobody around here has seen them in a good while..
anyway ,,this little pointy nosed rnd, mini mag ,has its plusses. i think that pointy nose is the reason it don t drop..i think i like it an the fact that its 40 grn..
its sure not a rnd id want aimed just below my ear..grin

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheezy for dead on accuracy ive got some fed target ammo standard.. if i really wanted to contest with somebody ,,i have some kinda military rnd that i bought 2 bricks of back when i had more money..olin corp, is the only writing on it..i may not win the contest.. but i ll come closer to it,, with this strange military trainer ,, standard velocity rnd ,than i will anything else..
this i pull out if dead on accuracy has,, got to happen..slim:)

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Not sure what ammunition you have there slim?

I know that my son's rifle will shoot most any ammunition into small groups at near 55 yards. Mine "seems" particular? He (son), can out shoot me right up until I use what my rifle "likes". Then it goes the other way!

We both manage to make a harvest of small game around here. We "work" to under 35 yards mostly. I've never noticed a difference in bullet performace at that range. Two holes every time no matter the ammunion. Try for "head shots".

Sidenote:
I saw a "city rabbit" today that was particular big! Crosshairs in my mind were on him! No shots fired.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Growing up, I thought CCI Mini-Mag WAS .22 ammo! That's all dad ever bought, so that's what I shot through my gun...and it made me think my old Marlin was shooting a laser to the target because a miss was a rare thing. Then, one day I was at a sporting goods store and bought some .22 cartridges myself. Not seeing the familiar Mini-Mags, I just grabbed whatever I saw and when we went shooting the next day, I was very disappointed to find that my gun will not shoot good groups with just any ammo! I've since tried several different kinds, with varying results, but the Mini-Mag is almost always available and it continues to shoot dime-sized groups for me, out to about 70 yards, so that's what I stick with. I've never tried the Velocitors, but I hear a lot of good stuff about them....maybe I'll try to pick up a box of them, later today.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good luck on finding the velocitors. . if you lived close id give you a box..you could try it on a cold brick at 35 yrds.. see what happens..dang things hit hard.. if you find them under 8 bucks let me know.. slim:)
ps..i do like this 40 grn pointy mini mag though..shoots true outa my cz ..thats for sure..havn t tried it in my marlin 60..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I managed to score 3 boxes of 50 Velocitors a couple of weeks ago for about 7.00 each. They were the last three on the shelf. I felt a bit guilty cleaning them out, but I haven't seen them in months!

·
Registered
138 Posts
When i use my .22 handgun for around the house use or even self defence i use mini-mags because velicitors have only slightly higher velocity and out of a pistol i have found mini-mags to expand better but not much anyways and i found a couple thousand mini-mags at my Grandmothers house that she had no wish to keep and i can't find velocitors locally.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
good luck on finding the velocitors. . if you lived close id give you a box..you could try it on a cold brick at 35 yrds.. see what happens..dang things hit hard.. if you find them under 8 bucks let me know.. slim:)
ps..i do like this 40 grn pointy mini mag though..shoots true outa my cz ..thats for sure..havn t tried it in my marlin 60..
i was at a gun shop/sporting goods store around st louis just the other week and they had a pretty good supply og velositors. i don't recall the price but i thought around 7.00, i'll try to get by there next weekend and take note of the prices. i've seen them on line a few places too, so they can be had. i have a brick of them i bought a couple years ago and i have about 1500 mini mags left yet too. but my boys really like to go through the rim fire ammo so i don't plan on those lasting too long.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wouldn t want to say online ,how many velocitors i got.. but now i got the mini mags also.. they seem to be more accurate out the cz452 ...where as th veloscitor will shoot the same acciracy outa my marlin 60..
but i still like the mini mags..they hit hard..slim

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Mini Mag Proof!!!

Slim; Proofs in the puddin'!!! I just shot these groups on Sunday.... 5 shot groups with each type of ammo at 25 yards, out of my old Marlin Model 25. The action is bedded and glued, the barrel free floated, and the trigger is about 3 ounces. A Lyman 6x scope tops it off. This gun has always liked Mini Mag Hollow Points (Blue Label), and as you can see it is very accurate with this brand of ammo. As far as performance on small game the Mini Mag HP's are devistating!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts