Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a safe MINIMUM powder charge for a patched round ball in a .50? Powder would be Pyrodex RS and just want minimal recoil. Won't be shooting over 50 yards with it, and only killing paper. I want to get my wife and kids into shooting BP, all I have are .50 and .54s. I might be taking the wrong approach to this, if a .50 is too much I can always use an excuse to build a .32...:D

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well to be honest, when we had group shoots, after the men had their fun, we would load and supervise the children. Now I am talking some small kids. There were a few ten year old's and a couple twelve year old's, and they were not large kids. I watched them little guys with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS shooting roundball and begging for the chance to shoot again.

I would think 40 or 50 grains would not be too much in a traditional rifle. Load up 50 grains and shoot it off hand, without it being on your shoulder and see what kind of jump it makes. I shoot 50 in a Knight Wolverine inline and you'd hardly know you shot it. In fact a lady friend of mine was over one day and I was loading 70 grains of powder and a patched ball for her. She did not seem to mind that at all. And actually she had a lot of fun and did pretty good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I target shoot with a T/C New Englander in .50 and use 50 grains of Goex FFFg with PRB. the recoil is nil, we shoot at 25 yds at the club and I could shoot this all day without feeling it. I might add that I don't care for much recoil. Have shot 60 and 70 grains without noticeable recoil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know what gun you are shooting, but Lymans have a hollow breach plug and the portion that threads into the barrel has a reduced diameter, about 3/8". The volume of powder it holds is about 30 grains. If you were to load less than a sufficient ammount to fill the breech plug it would be the same as having a short started ball.

So I would say the MINIMUM would be about 35 grains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts