Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many a year I've been loading 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 231 behind a nifty 140 grain SWC from Saeco, in a 357 case. It's got no recoil, little noice, accurate as all get out.
I used it for a Bullseye league that I belonged to. We hot at 25 yards at standard bullseye target, timed and rapid fire. We were not allowed to use wadcutters because of the anti lead dust curtain behind the target.
Now that I've told you more then you wanted to know, I have a bunch of the Speer 158 Swaged lead SWCs that I would like to shoot rather then melt down into raw material.
What's the conscenous of opinion. You guys think the same powder charge would work without leading the barrel? From looking at the Speer loading manuel I'll be a bit high for a 38 Special using that bullet but right in the middle for the 357 Mag.
Jim

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Jim:
  There's a box of the Speers here that I haven't got into yet. Guess I'll have to load them up and try them.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got several hundred pounds of these. I never could pass up a bargain, even if I had no idea what I would use them for.
I did think about dipping them into gas or some other solvent to get that black stuff off, and use them as lead slugs for swaging in the Corbin press.
I'll wait and see what you come up with.
Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,324 Posts
I've shot 148 gr. wadcutters in .357 brass for quite a while with only 3.0 grains of Bullseye, so with the 158's I'm thinking you could get away with less powder than the 4.5 grain load you mentioned.

If they're factory swaged bullets they will be very soft and might be prone to leading if you load them very fast.

I'd personally start at about 3.5 grains and go from there.

One other trick to use is to seat them so that the shoulder of the bullet is even with the case mouth, instead of in the crimping groove.  Takes up some of the excess air space in the case, and in my experience, leaves the cases much cleaner after firing!

If you have several hundred pounds, definitely worth working up a load for.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so very much.
I'll give the 3.5 grains of Bullseye a shot.  At the same time I'll load up a few using the 4.5 grains.
I'm pretty lucky in that both of my 357s, a Colt Python and a S&W Mod #28, both had their barrels hand lapped and recrowned. Getting them to lead takes some effort.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts