Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Surprise - Won a No Strings Drawing for a Falshlight

Its rare for me to enter an internet associated drawing, but I saw a note on the forum that Cameraland-New York had a give-away drawing going on, so I put my name in.

I also don't ever remember winning anything of any real value.

I just got an email from them telling me I won an $80 digital flashlight. It was a second place item, but hey, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!

When I called to provide my address, I was surprised to find out that there were no strings attached. No S&H fees, nothing. I would get the prize in the mail in a week or so.
I am totally shocked!!!

I don't even recall whether I ever bought anything from them.

I am looking forward to seeing what the flashlight is like.

Bob Nisbet
Temporarily Displaced Texan

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Congratulations.

I'm not sure what a digital flashlight is? Does it illuminate by dividing the up the beam into a grid of pixels?

But the big question is how this type of light might be useful and whether it has features that mean I need to start looking out for one? Do you think it will make a good tac light, game spotter, a good camping flashlight or whatever (just to keep it board-related)?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Guessing he means an LED light. Those sure are handy, especially the ones you can put on a brim of a hat. Some of my friends have surefire (or similar) branded lights that you can just about spotlight varmits with. Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I see those on hat brims, too. Do any of your friends have NFPA-rated ones, MikeG? It'd be kinda handy if my varmint-spotlighting LED could also be mounted on my fire helmet. :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Dang that is a good idea!

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Yes, I suppose it refers to the regulator chips in the white LED modules. Some of the LEDs are amazingly bright, and if you own an old xenon bulb Surefire, you can buy a conversion module from Malkoff for something like 230 lumens. Has to be a metal body Surefire to sink the heat. Still runs on two CR123's. You can run it on just one, but the current goes up due to the switching regulator inside. Brave new world out there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a good size collection of all sorts of led lights from keychain versions and hat brim to headlamps up to 5 d handhelds. I also bought those big heavy lanterns with the belt driven generators when they came out and boy were they bright but the belts broke in them. I blame Art Bell for my collection as he advertised them every night for c crane (the original) Thing is some of those old lower powered lights have had the same batteries in them for four years since i last changed them (in storage) and they still work. They are perfect for signaling devices in hunting camp if the need arises since they can be left for long periods of time and still work when you need them. I also have several of the dynamo's and they are even better options for leaving in camp.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I have a couple of Petzl headlamps, very handy when you have no extra hands! The single best thing ever is the LED conversion for the old Maglites (new Maglites are available with LED bulbs) They are a 3 watt conversion, although I'm not sure of the Lumens, they are significantly brighter than the old xenon bulb, although the fine focus is diminished a bit. Batteries last about 7x longer as well, and they work better in cold weather as they don't require as much draw from the batteries.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got my Minox CF-1 ($80) flashlight.
It is supposed to cycle through 4 modes, using the function button; Off/On-HI/On-Lo/Falshing.
When I tried it, the olny thing it would do is flash ort turn off.
I played with thefunction button and got random (unpredictable) results.
When I contacted the company here is part of what they emailed to me:

Hi Bob,
Sometimes I think that the flashlight has a mind of its own. There are times that it works great with a nice simple push and then you need the double push and then again you need the quick push. I am not sure if it is a defective flashlight or if that is just the way that they are.
Thanks,
Greg Clark
MINOX USA, Inc.

For what this flashlight cost, I don't think it should have problems.
In a different email from Minox, thay asked me to return it so they could "evaluate whether it was defective.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted a follow-up report, in which I indicated that the Minox unit I won (Model CF-1) may not be a quality product.

When I needed an excellent LED flashlight, I did my homework (as a good engineer will always do) and one cam up better than anything else I found.
Its the TerraLux. Has an output of 220 lumens and works on 2 AA batteries.
After getting one and using it in the woods at my East Tx place, I got the same one for both my sons and my brother.
The MInox has only 80 lumens output in high mode.
Bob Nisbet

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
I'd forgotten about those. The whole light is less than the Malkoff Surefire adapters are currently priced. I checked the specs and the adapters run 2 hours on 2 CR123's, producing 260 lumens.

If the Terralux claim of 1.5 hours output at 220 lumens is good, it's the better operating cost device. My question is whether you find yours fades as the batteries run down? The Malkoffs appear to have regulators in them that draw more current as battery voltage declines, using that to keep the power input constant. So the batteries would die fast when they go.

Also, is the brightness mode selected by a multiple position pushbutton? I have a couple of cheap LED lights that do that (Sam's Club purchases). You get dim, then bright, then flashing, then off. I don't like the sequence. I would, for the purposes of stunning an intruder, want the brightest beam to come up first, because he can blink faster than I can push the button to get into high mode. But if the brightness is a separate switch fröm on/off, then no problem. Just leave it there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My TerraLux does dim down as the battery fades.
Also, its sequence is Off/Bright/Off/Dim, which is cycled using the button switch.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts