Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big fan of the tang safety but it’s there so I’ll live with it, My problem is thst it’s very difficult to operate. I’ve tried cyling it repeatedly but it’s still difficult unless I use my thumbnail to engage the serrations on the safety. Any way to loosen it up a bit?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chances are it has gunk in the slot. To fix it, you have to pull the stock, and take apart the safety mechanism. Clean thoroughly, make sure there is no rust, lightly oil, and reassemble. Its not that hard, should be able to find a video on how to take it apart on Youtube (look up Browning Citori).

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,963 Posts
Yes. Unless it's too technical for you, as suggested pull things apart and inspect. Most of the time it's the factory comoline stuff that has picked-up dirt and hardened. I have had a rifle that was machined poorly and the groove the safety slides in, was like a cheese grater. Took a little very fine emery cloth and smoothed things up a bit. Made a huge difference.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I suspect too strong a detent spring in the safety. I'm not familiar with a Model 82. '92 maybe?
ID what spring is placing locational detent to the safety and weaken it slightly with pliers.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Same answer, really. The safety (or any sliding 'switch' with positions) have a 'detent spring that gives the 'snap' to the part. That spring is too strong, or the detents rough, or there is some kind of interference in its motion. Most likely you can see the part that needs 'adjusting' if you pull the buttstock off the action. It'll be hanging right there. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removed the butt stock (and inadvertently released the tension on the mainspring--pain to reassemble) to inspect the safety. The spring is a tiny little clockspring providing very little tension. Applied a little fresh gun oil and cycled the safety repeatedly. Still a little stiff but I'll live with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts