Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting my levers more these days and like the idea of a model 92 in 357, which I believe this is offered in. I let a 92 go years ago and I guess I'm interested in filling that spot again. I like the 357 because I have a bazillion components for it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Good thoughts. Nothing is as smooth as a '92.

I have an original (25-20); but the Mirokus that I've handled are really SMOOTH. Nothing but good thoughts on the 357(also shoots 38 spl). Close range whitetail and varmints.

post a pic when you get it Jackfire

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
I've always loved the '92 and want one someday. The Miroku-made guns are every bit as well done as the originals in every model I've seen so-far.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeez, thanks a lot. I was hoping you guys would talk me out of it. If I go with this I have to turn a few things to create some cash first. Thank you for the replies. I had an original in 32-20, which went when I went on a "reduced calibers" binge a few years ago. It was such a nice handling piece. I miss it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Love '92s i also have a original one in a .25-20. Wish it was a .32-20. brass would be easier to find for it.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
The Miroku 92's are one of a relative handful of long arms being made today that are of heirloom quality. Many other rifles will last for generations, but will never become collectible because they are purely functional, not works of art. The Miroku 92's, and a few others, are functional works of art that will appreciate over time.

Oh, and this is not a support group for guys with a gun-buying habit. It's the exact opposite! ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All positive makes it all good on my end. I'll get to work on this and keep you all posted. Much obliged!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Made in Japan stamped on a Winchester. Hard fr me to swallow. Still a well made rifle ..

If it'll make you feel any better, Winchester owns Miroku through Winchester's owner - Fabrique Nationale (FN) - why Miroku can stamp "Winchester" on the guns.

FWIW- the fit & finish of Winchester/Miroku's is as good, if not better, than what once came out of the old Winchester Custom Shop in New Haven.

The only thing I have against the Winchester/Miroku's are the lawyer tang safeties that Winchester mandated for copies of Winchester leverguns.

The earlier Browning/Miroku's leverguns, however, have no such issues.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just purchased a new Winchester 1892 in 44 Mag. What a beautiful rifle and it shoots to point of aim straight out of the box. Quality is top notch. In fact I am of the opinion that they are better made than the post 1964 Winchesters. I have had post 64 Winchesters and they really never impressed me, but this rifle is just a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
In terms of "Model 92" rifles and carbines, there are some options and each have their pros and cons.

Rossi 92s.

I own a few Rossi 92s - a 20" Short Rifle in .357 Mag, a 24" Rifle in .357 Mag, and a 20" Carbine in .45 Colt. All three of them benefitted from a tune up - polishing some interior surfaces, replacing the ejector spring, shortening the hammer spring, and thinning the loading gate spring, along with replacing the plastic magazine follower with a stainless follower and shortening the magazine spring. They also all benefitted from several coats of Tru-Oil on top of the original finish.

At a minimum, you'll need to give one a detailed cleaning to remove metal chips, grease, etc.

The external metal work however is normally excellent and I'm been impressed with both their blued and color case hardened finishes.

The end result is a very slick operating rifle, that is also very strong and accurate (I get 2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards with both my .357s using either handloaded 125 gr XTPs, or Federal 158 gr JSP factory ammo).

I'll argue that Rossi has more experience with modern straight wall pistol cartridges in the Model 92 style action than any other manufacturer, including Winchester (under whatever ownership arrangement). The changes they've made have been based on that experience over the last 50 years.

At around $530, they are about half the price of an Armi Sport made, Chiappa branded Model 92 or a Miroku made, Winchester branded Model 92, so you can afford to put some sweat equity into one.

Armi Sport / Chiappa Model 92

I have an Armi Sport made, Charles Daly branded Model 92 Take Down 24" rifle in .45 Colt. It was silky smooth right out of the box - better than the Winchester Model 92. The fit and finish is excellent and the color case hardening is beautiful. It's a faithful copy of an early Winchester 1892 (Type 1 hammer spur checkering, etc).

They are expensive and they are currently selling for about $100 more than the Miroku made Model 92s, but you get an original pattern Model 92 (no tang safety) with a fit and finish, that is much more appealing than Winchester's current almost black "blue" finish, with the option of color case hardened .finish that is very well done.

Winchester (Miroku made) Model 92

My main objections to these are the tang safety and the overly black shade of blue. Miroku however makes fin rifles and they are well made, smooth functioning and accurate, but I much prefer the "old style" Winchester look and finish of the Armi Sport rifles over the "new" Winchesters.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I just purchased a new Winchester 1892 in 44 Mag. What a beautiful rifle and it shoots to point of aim straight out of the box. Quality is top notch. In fact I am of the opinion that they are better made than the post 1964 Winchesters. I have had post 64 Winchesters and they really never impressed me, but this rifle is just a thing of beauty.
I don't think anyone will argue with you there. For example, I've owned 4 pre-64 Model 94s and all of them shot much better than any of the post 63 Model 94s I've owned. You can get 1.5 to 2 MOA accuracy out of a pre-64 Model 94 Carbine in .30-30 and that is rarely the case with the post 63 carbines.

·
Registered
85 Posts
"If it'll make you feel any better, Winchester owns Miroku through Winchester's owner - Fabrique Nationale (FN) - why Miroku can stamp "Winchester" on the guns." Per Rangr44.
================================================
Thank you for stating this. I now feel better about my:
Two Parker brand SxS doubles made by Winchester
Winchester models 1886 .45-90 and 1895 .405 . Both are DG rifles and have proven themselves in Africa on PG and DG.

As stated, they all function flawlessly and are made to last a lifetime+.

The tang safeties are a non issue since I grew up shooting an original Parker 20 gauge. To me it is the best place for a safety and has never been a problem!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Rossi 92s.

I own a few Rossi 92s - a 20" Short Rifle in .357 Mag, a 24" Rifle in .357 Mag, and a 20" Carbine in .45 Colt. All three of them benefitted from a tune up - polishing some interior surfaces, replacing the ejector spring, shortening the hammer spring, and thinning the loading gate spring, along with replacing the plastic magazine follower with a stainless follower and shortening the magazine spring. They also all benefitted from several coats of Tru-Oil on top of the original finish.

At a minimum, you'll need to give one a detailed cleaning to remove metal chips, grease, etc.

The external metal work however is normally excellent and I'm been impressed with both their blued and color case hardened finishes.

The end result is a very slick operating rifle, that is also very strong and accurate (I get 2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards with both my .357s using either handloaded 125 gr XTPs, or Federal 158 gr JSP factory ammo).

I'll argue that Rossi has more experience with modern straight wall pistol cartridges in the Model 92 style action than any other manufacturer, including Winchester (under whatever ownership arrangement). The changes they've made have been based on that experience over the last 50 years.

At around $530, they are about half the price of an Armi Sport made, Chiappa branded Model 92 or a Miroku made, Winchester branded Model 92, so you can afford to put some sweat equity into one.
I own 4 Rossi 92's (two 44 mag 24" rifles, two 20" short rifles one of each 44 and 357)and never had to do anything to them. I did change the mag followers just because I don't like plastic parts, but they all functioned fine as is right out of the box. The only issue they've had is the mag tube shooting loose under the recoil of 290-350 gr rounds.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Winchester does not 'own' Miroku or anything else. Olin owns the rights to the Winchester ammunition name. FN/Herstal owns the rights to Winchester firearms. FN and Miroku own Browning jointly. Miroku is an independent entity that produces 'some' Winchester firearms under license from FN/Herstal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts