Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys,

I see my thread is under review cause there is suspicion that im a company or something. Not the case at all. I am a 22 year old student, relativly new to handloading. I just got a 22 ruger, and the slide on the clip's been pissing me off. Any inventions i comment about on a post are my own thoughts, they dont exist or anything. So i think its unfair to be hassled for "Spamming" or whatever. I am asking for opinions on my ideas, isnt that what this forums all about?

Ben

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
There are already commercial products that do what you propose, FYI. I have some of them.

We do have issues all the time with spammers, people trying to advertise on the owner's dime, etc. So .... given that your membership is free here, please try to follow the guidelines as best you can and understand you may not agree with all of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
It's not an active site. Just a registered name.

If the the thumb button is driving you nuts, in addition to all the plastic loader gadgets, one of the best ever made was one Ron Persans had 30 years ago. Just a stubby knurled knob with a hole just deep enough to fit over the Ruger button and give your thumb purchase to hold the knob down with.

When I misplaced my Persans knob for a time, I made a substitute that was almost as good. I simply cut a .45 ACP case down so the wall was just deep enough to capture the knob so I could push down on it with my thumb. I showed this to a guy at the range one day who laughed and asked why I didn't just use 3/8" or 7/16" nut? Because it didn't occur to me, that's why. I tried one, and it worked fine, too. I suppose the .45 case saved me the cost of the nut, but otherwise I don't see an advantage of one over the other.

Any of those just give your thumb a lot more surface area to push against, and that takes all the discomfort and slipping out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, yea i think i have seen some of them online.
And my idea is a lil bit different. Im thinkin on making it universal for any mag with a spring stud on the side. The ones i see online are only for a certain type of mag.

I heard from a friend that speedloaders for 22s have a bad rap. Said they jam or cause problems. Is this true? im debating on buying one.

Lastly, besides the 22s, are there any other mags that have those side studs? I think i head something about S&W 41.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to fold over the cardboard from a 50rd. box of .22's. Accomplished pretty much the same thing. Having owned Smith M41's, their mags are not a pain as with the original Ruger Mk series mags. Ruger's 22/45 series are easy to use by comparison.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
ok, yea i think i have seen some of them online.
And my idea is a lil bit different. Im thinkin on making it universal for any mag with a spring stud on the side. The ones i see online are only for a certain type of mag.

I heard from a friend that speedloaders for 22s have a bad rap. Said they jam or cause problems. Is this true? im debating on buying one.

Lastly, besides the 22s, are there any other mags that have those side studs? I think i head something about S&W 41.
Well, frankly, you don't have a bad idea. The thing is, though, there are relatively few other common magazines in the world of that design that I'm aware of (outside of .22 LR).

So..... if a person really, really needed one.... it would seem to be a simple task to whittle one out of a piece of wood, or hard plastic, or whatever. As a manufacturer, if it's a really cheap and easy part to create, you need to create a LOT of them to make it worthwhile. And I just suspect that there isn't market demand to warrant tooling up. Make it too expensive and everyone will just go out and create their own (or many people will, not everyone of course).

Just an opinion.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well im not as good at it as some.. but any time i see something that appeals.. my first option,is to think about it some an sometimes i can
make something that does the same thing..in my case im function oreinted..
so some of my inventions wouldn t win a beauty contest..:)slim
this includes fixes.. they not pretty but the dang tool usually works fine.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
.22's are all I can think of, too. Other rounds are big enough and strong enough to push down against the follower with.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The HKS tool is $3 and works for Ruger MKIIIs, 22/45s, Browning Buckmarks and Hi Standards. It works pretty awesome.

The MagLula is a universal magazine loading assist tool, under $20 and also works very well, especially with the 30 round open gun magazines.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Didn't the Luger P08 also have a button? The Germans used to issue a tool to help load the mags and it even had its on storage place in the hardshell holster.

CD

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
i found a "hook" that was made for women to use as an aid to pull up the zipper on the back of their dress. simple to bend and the hook fits right over the button on the clip you can also use a papper clip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts