Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read it right, I put lube on the shoulder of my 307 Winchester Brass and You're right again, it put dents in the brass on the shoulder. Do I keep them or toss them?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Dents will be gone next firing. Slight reduction in case capacity so don't load to full throttle, to be safe. If it's just one or two little dings about the size of a drop of water it won't hurt much.

If your dies have a vent near the shoulder, make sure it's not clogged up and this will help prevent problems in the future. Sometimes the vent is covered up by the locking ring and isn't obvious.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I like to use a small tin with some birdshot in it with some dry graphite powder to lube the necks myself;)just stick the case neck into the shot and turn it, safe and it works well. Aim small hit small RAMbo.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
It's no big deal, it happens. If you use spray on lube, like me, you'll get it if you get a little over zealous with the spray can too. As far as not loading a previously determined max load with small shoulder dents, I wouldn't worry. The brass will again be fully dimensional long before the pressure reaches the maximum level. The chamber contains the pressure, not the brass, the brass seals the pressure in the chamber and is a means of keeping all the components where they should be.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I also forgot to mention, Most die's of today have a weaphole for excess lube to dissipate, if cases are lubed too much, RCBS has been doing this for a while, never experienced dents in case necks, when using spray lube I use the four sides method, one spurt per-side on case block let stand 5 min to let the lube run down the case body,Just remember a little goes a long way, and you can always tell after your fist case if the case is under lubes or not, take it from there, and your ready to resize and decap. Hope this helps, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts