Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my neck of the woods, hunting season is over and now I am regulated to shooting paper or steel plates, until the woodchucks start coming out. How did everyone do, what did you use, any good stories? Just thougt I would ask.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Our season still runs to the 31st of January in South Dakota. Considering the lousy fall weather we've had I haven't ventured out with the smoke pole. Still might go if weather will cooperate this next weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picture taken near Mio Michigan along a clear cut for power lines. Trail also used heavily for snowmobiles. The white tail deer population here is very good! It is state land and open to hunting.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
In that picture it looks like they are being baited. When you bait in a hard winter is it amazing how peaceful the deer can get with humans around. I have a friend that used to bait at their home and they had deer feeding within six feet of them as they sat on their deck.

It looks like a small pile of corn or deer pellets that first one is eating. See the small pile under the deer's muzzle. It only takes like two cups of feed to help a deer make it through the winter. In Wisconsin, I do not believe this kind of baiting is legal anymore although I could be wrong. I am sure if that is the case they feed them on a snowmobile trail because its easy to bait, and the deer will walk that trail and not sink into the deep snow. Notice how deep the snow is on the sides of the trail that the deer walked off into.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Wazz, I have only bad stories to tell. lol But thats how most of my seasons end up. Somewhere in Tennessee there is a 10 pt. and a Bobcat with gunshot wounds. Maybe next year will be my year. Of course I said that last year too...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nothing good to report here. I was only home for 2 days during ML season saw an ok one on the first day, but held out. If I took it, I wouldn't be able to hunt any more during firearm season and I really wanted to get one with a handgun (which I did).

Its okay though, the yotes are dropping like flies right now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts