Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a M27 stocked in 91/30 wood? Does anyone have "first hand" knowledge of any (used to have, physically handled, know someone who has one)?

I've read what I can find on the net but I want to get with anyone else who has one and compare notes.

I have one, and I've seen mention on other boards of a few others who have one, used to own, or saw one up close and personal.

Its an interesting topic/version. I've started researching this area, and I would appreciate any solid information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm aware of the sceptacism about these already and not interested in argument for or against, or debates. Please, only real "first hand" info.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
berkmberk1,

Welcome to the Forum; I see this is your first post.

I collect Finnish Mosin Rifles and have a Model 27. I do not understand your question about "being stocked in 91/30 wood?" Most Finnish stocks were two-piece, dovetailed and glued and the Model 27 pre-dated the Russian Model 91/30.

Again, welcome to this site.

Webley

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had two of them but sold them several years back. They were assembled in late war when it was an "anything to the front" situation. The way to tell a "real" one is the import stamp will be way forward on the barrel. The other oddity of them was the use of a rear band on the front. It looked funny - and was. What exactly did you want to know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are the first person I have run across so far that has first hand knowledge of them. I agree they look weird, but the more I handle mine, the more I like it......sort of Manlicherish!

I'm just gathering data about them. I have a very short questionnaire I made up.....should take about two-three minutes to answer. Would you mind if I PM'd it to you? I only want data on the rifles......not you. Answer part or all......

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are the first person I have run across so far that has first hand knowledge of them. I agree they look weird, but the more I handle mine, the more I like it......sort of Manlicherish!

I'm just gathering data about them. I have a very short questionnaire I made up.....should take about two-three minutes to answer. Would you mind if I PM'd it to you? I only want data on the rifles......not you. Answer part or all......

Mike
Sure, no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure the pm went thru so I'll post it here. Perhaps someone else may see it too.

Study of wartime expedient repaired M27s using 91/30 stocks:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(NOTE: no personal information is sought - Please, no addresses, prices, names, serial numbers, etc. I only seek physical details of the rifle.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What type of 91/30 stock was used for the repair? (If you are unsure, a good reference to check is on the 7.62x54r.net site "Mosin Nagant Master Model Reference" page) _________________________

2) Does the handguard fit the stock properly? ___________

If not, where is the misfit - front, rear, middle?

3) Are there any noticable cartouches on the stock? ________________ If so, please describe or perhaps send a photo.

4) Who was the importer? _______________

5) Does the import stamp show in its entirety, or does it run into/under the stock/handguard? ____________

5) If you are the original purchaser or know who was, when was it imported/purchased? _____________

6) Do you have, or can/will you provide an overall picture illustrating the stock/handguard fit, and the importer stamp on the barrel? (again - no serial numbers, or anything in the picture identifying you and yours at all!)

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I did receive and answer your PM, but when I go to my in box and sent box now, they're empty.
If you'll pm me your email address, I have a bunch of pictures - closeup's - of one of mine. I sold them both in 2011.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics. (do you have pics of the second one?) Looks just like mine except for a few differences. Yours - 1934 Tika D marked barrel. Mine 1931 Tika F marked barrel. Your stock appears to be a Finnish two piece potbellied stock. Mine is one piece, Russian, maybe hardwood.

The handguard fits like mine........not at all!

The import marks are identical.

I was hoping to see if there were any comman marks on the stocks. No go there. Mine has an unusual bullseye shped stamp/cartouche on the R side butt. Maybe a Russian mark? Yours doesn't have it.

I've run across considerable dissent about these. Some aren't aware they exist. Some think they are fakes. The major problem has been the way the handguard fits. Well, yours proves it. The fit is just as lousy as mine.

Thanks for contributing to my study..........just what I was looking for. I hope to find more and some more information.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope on the pictures of the other one.
I hear ya on the dissent of these. They would be very easy to counterfeit though. The only way to tell would be the import mark. OTOH, who would want to counterfeit them? I have no idea of how many there are out there. The only one's I've seen are my two and mention of a couple of others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right. Why counterfeit these? You take a relatively expensive M27 and put it into an extra stock you buy for $50 to $150 and have to hand fit, just to sell it for about what you have invested in it ot maybe a little more/

I tried contacting Century about info, but apparently they are too busy to answer questions or even acknowledge that they got my emails.IF there was some paperwork ie. inventoirs with descriptions, that would be fairly good provenance. That is one reason I am trying to research the chain of custody, so to speak. It would be nice to track some of these back to the original owners. Even though these were probably first sold 20+ years ago, some probably haven't ever been resold, and many have probably changed hands only a few times at best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a M27 that I picked up for a hundred bucks a couple of years ago that had been sporterized. I picked up a 91/30 stock set for cheap (fifty bucks with all hardware) as I just couldn't stand it being sporterized/Bubba'd. It took a lot of sanding by hand to fit the barrel channel in the stock and hand guard, but it turned out ok in my book.

I recently was able to pick up a new old stock M27 stock in a Proxibid auction. I'm slowly but surely gathering up the needed hardware to put it in the M27 stock. I'm going to have to use a M28 hand guard for now. Who knows if I'll ever stumble across an M27 hand guard, but I'll keep looking. When it's all said and done I'll end up having what the rifle is worth in parts, but it's in great shape and a nice shooter so I have no plans on selling it. I'll let my wife and son worry about that when I'm dead and gone.

So, to answer the original posters question, yes it can be done, but be prepared to do a lot and I mean a lot of hand sanding to get the fit right.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just ran across this there seems to quit a few of them in this area, i know nothing about them, why would anyone go to the trouble of forging one as I have hear you can get them for $150 or less. PS Mike welcome I grew up about 75 mi SW of you Alton area. Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an M27 that I put into a Russian 91/30 stock set. My M27 was sporterized when I bought it, and the original Finn stock had been cut down. Since Finnish stocks are rare as can be, and I couldn't stand seeing it in a sporter stock; I ended up putting it in the 91/30 stock. It took a lot of hand sanding to fit the action to the stock as the Finnish barrel and especially the chamber are a larger diameter than the Russian barrel. It works fine, and considering I have $100 in the rifle, and $50 in the 91/30 stock; I haven't hurt myself, and it looks much better.

I recently picked up what was listed on an online auction house as an M27 stock, but it ended up being a Finnish M28-30 stock. Since it's not uncommon to see an M27 in a M28 or M28-30 stock, I'll probably end up moving it over to that one to make it more "correct".

I'll post a few pictures of mine in another response. I tried posting a couple of days ago, but I think that post is hung up in the moderation queue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts