Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just inherited another mn 44 7.62r. is there any other caliber out there that can be adapted to this reciever? like a .257 or such?
any ideas will be appreciated.
thanks all,
mike

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
It's my understanding that someone converted them into 45-70's sometime in the past. Personnaly never seen one but it is intriging if they were actually done.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm sure there are cartridges for which it could be adapted -- certainly similar-sized rimmed, tapered ones. Anyt other type might involve some pretty extensive and expensive work. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 7.62X54R. It's a great round in a great, largely unappreciated, rifle.

Rather than changing the chambering, I am thinking on building a target-customized version. There are still plenty of nice $100 rifles out there that would make a great, cheap base for such a gun, and there are Finnish and Russian-built target rifles to serve as a models. Those who would mock such an idea have never see just how well the MN can shoot...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i already have a u.s. made 7.62r m-44 and i shoot it quite often.
i'm looking for something in a low pressure cartridge to be on the safe side.
mike

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
How about a 30-30 or .35 Remington?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
i already have a u.s. made 7.62r m-44 and i shoot it quite often.
i'm looking for something in a low pressure cartridge to be on the safe side.
mike

As far as being on the "safe side", the action is perfectly safe pressure-wise with anything that doesn't exceed the 7.62X54R pressure level. Almost any cartridge from the late 19th century era will be OK from a pressure standpoint (.303 Brit, .30-40 Krag, 7x57, etc.). From an engineering standpoint almost any cartridge other than the original is going to be a challenge in some regard.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
They are pretty stout. I've never heard of one blowing up, although I'm sure it's possible.

Anything with a similar rim size is going to be your best bet.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Finns chambered MN actions in a whole bunch of cartridges based on the 54R case, from .223 on up. Do some research, lots of information available.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks charley.
i started to poke around and it always ended up back to the 7.62 and never mentioned about any other calibers. could you give me a push in right direction?
thanks
mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts