Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to Beartooth....

On occasion, I've contributed my 2 cents to Marlin Talk, asked a few questions, and just thought I'd cut/paste my most recent posting for the Beartooth readers. It's on the subject of Scopes Vs Targets, and their different dimensions/measurements. Looking for some concurrence, comments, and/or objective rebutal....

" Just a thought here....
Imagine the shooting community, at large, speaking exclusively in the language of angles (degrees, minutes and seconds). We'd all be on the same page, speaking the same lingo as the makers of firearm scopes. Bragging rights would be simplified (maybe), certainly more precise. The claim of "3-shots, 60 seconds" would refer to MOA group size, not time or inches. It would equate to the same difficulty level as placing 3 shots within a 60 second group (1 Minute of Angle) at 50 yards, 100 yards, or. What is important here is that MOA shooting applies the same precision, and dimension, to live/lifeless subjects that scope manufacturers apply to their windage and elevation adjustments. We spend way too much money building and maintaining our arsenal just to relegate the subject of weapon accuracy to "close enough". ... Bud "

BTW, I do have free, printable MOA targets in Excel format, if anyone is interested. Just open up the Sixwheels Profile button. The link is in the Bio section... Happy shooting!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,963 Posts
Howdy, Sixwheels - Glad to have you aboard.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Kdub,

Read your thread on the "260" chambered weapons... Have been considering the .223 as a nice varmit-sized round. So many choices, so little cash.... I did manage to pick up a near-pristine Marlin Zane Grey 30-30 (circa 1972) for $200. An e-bay, near-new, Simmons 3x9 40mm scope is now mounted on top of Weaver Pro-Mounts. Itching to sight everything in, once I get onto a range. Haven't shot at any air-breathing critter since Viet Nam, but am looking forward to renewing my interest in the world of targets.. Hence the concentration on minutes of angle.... Back to work & thanks for the welcome aboard.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts