Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ruger 10-22 that i want to mod a lil . i would like to put a thumb grip stock and a bull barrel with my other parts . will this be possable at all ? the gun shoots fine now but i want to get a lil more out of it . any help would be nice . links and stuff needed .

·
Registered
750 Posts
There are sooooooo many options, too numerable to list. Aside from being probably the most popular Semi-22, I would dare say it is is one of the most frequently customized guns as well.

Check out: Boyd's Stocks, Volquartsen Custom, Magnum Research as well as good offerings from Midway and Brownells; just some of my favorites..

The possibilities really are endless. It all depends on what you are looking for and how deep your pockets are...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, aint no probably about it - the Ruger 10-22 is THE most popular semi-auto .22 ever built, and you have limitless possibilities for modification. You can go from just a few aftermarket mods for less than 50 bucks, all the way to competition level custom jobs that literally cost many thousands of dollars.

But for what you're asking - for better accuracy, a good aftermarket target style barrel (there are literally hundereds to choose from) and some trigger work will get you where you want to be. You can just replace the hammer and sear if you can handle the swap yourself - that would be the cheapest way to improve the trigger. Or you can get the complete trigger housing group drop-in from volquartsen, Kidd, and a few others. Last I checked, the volquartsen trigger group was around $250.

Be careful though - once you start fixing those things up, it's hard to quit!;)

Go read a little on www.rimfirecentral.com for all the info you could ever want on the Ruger 10-22.

·
Banned
421 Posts
+1 on Rimfire Central. You will find all kinds of good advice over there, as well as links to directions and videos to show you how to tear the rifle down and install the aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Rimfirecentral.com is Mecca for 10/22 knowledge and building.

Go Grasshopper, and learn at the fountain.

You will want to put in new hammer, sear and springs first. See how much it improves, then go .920" barrel and stock.

Extended mag release and quick release bolt lever not to forget a recoil buffer and maybe extended bolt handle.

You will sink some money into it but it will improve.

Trust Me. :D
You'll love it. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
The great thing about the Ruger 10/22 is that most if not all of the modifications can be done yourself with a small amount of tools and knowledge. Yes RFC is indeed the place to go to learn all the tricks about the 10/22.

Last spring I had a total hip replacement. To occupy my time while I was on medical leave from my job I did trigger / action jobs on a half dozen 10/22's for buddies. Naturally I had done my own first and learned how to do what I needed to do through the help of the excellent articles at RFC.

On one of the 10/22;s I worked on the owner basically brought me the receiver. I installed a Fluted Stainless-Steel Green Mountain .920" x 20" Barrel. I then put the barreled action into a Boyds Laminated Thumbhole Stock. That really made a nice package.

I call the 10/22 the legos of the gun world as you can build em anyway you want to.

Larry

·
Registered
112 Posts
The marlin model 60 is THE MOST popular 22 auto with over 3,000,000 sold.
BUT it is no were near the quality or realiablity of the 10-22.

·
Banned
66 Posts
The marlin model 60 is THE MOST popular 22 auto with over 3,000,000 sold.
BUT it is no were near the quality or realiablity of the 10-22.
Actually it is well past 16,000,000 for the marlin and past 6,000,000 for the 10/22.

As for reliability, I think it is a toss up, quality goes to the marlin, they have far better QC, better triggers and far better barrels out of the box. Marlins are also finished much nicer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts