Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can folks tell me about values of Remington Mod. 11 shotguns? My wife got word that a friend has one for sale. The only thing I was told is that it is a 20 gauge. The earliest I will be able to find out more about it is in a week or ten days. I know they resemble the Browning Auto-5. What can the readers share with me about them? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
It depends

Pictures would be a great help. It depends on condition and what it is so at this point we cannot give an honest assessment. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I know they resemble the Browning Auto-5. What can the readers share with me about them?
They are essentially A5s without some of the extras. Basic, strong and reliable, these guns have and will serve shooters well. They are recoil operated and the felt recoil is strong to many. Lots of folks have trouble with the hump-back receiver and the tendency for the gun to shoot high. There is not a lot of diversity in the lengths of shells they will handle, compared to newer, gas-operated guns but within their limitations, they will work like a charm. I have a 16 gauge, from the 1940's, and it is pure death on birds and small game.:D

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Great shotguns, IMO, without the Browning A-5 pricetag. The Mod 11's don't have the magazine cutoff lever; I never found much use in that to be honest. The mod 11's seemed to have thicker forearm stock wood and thus less cracking and outright failure of the forearm compared to the Brownings. If the gun is in any serviceable shape at all, price should start around $150 and go up from there. Locale will shift prices somewhat, and there are some moderately collectible Mod 11's, like the 12 gauge 'Long Range'. The 20 gauge will bring a higher price than a std 12 gauge.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My uncle picked one up at a gun show in California for $250and considered it quite a deal it was a 20 gauge with decent engraving and almost perfect original finish.

When I fired it I found felt recoil to be greatly reduces compared to a mossberg 20 gauge pump but it did have a strange forward recoil (when the barrel moves forward after firing) that unnerved me the first few rounds, it breaks clays like a charm.

It is actually manufactured by Remington under the browning patent, savage also made them, Winchester passed on the opportunity to buy the rights to the gun (they bought A LOT of browning's patents)and John browning took it to FN in belgium where it was made first, later Remington and savage purchased limited rights and made the guns, auto 5s have also been made in Japan. The A5 and its variants are one of the most popular semi auto shotguns in America and the most distinctive.

A Remington M 11 will be worth considerably less that a Fn auto 5 but more than a savage model, with 16 gauges generally being more valuable than the 20's and 12s being the lest valuable.

Parts are NOT interchangeable between the three manufactures of the guns despite working from the same patents.

A mechanically fascinating gun that caused the falling out between John Browning and his Winchester contact.

To price a gun a picture is almost always required.

·
Registered
846 Posts
One of my most favorite shotguns is the Remington Model 11.I used my Grandfathers during my youth,and now my Son has it.It shoots very well and he uses it for alot of his bird hunting still.Recoil is not bad unless you shoot the heavy stuff in it.It's a 12 ga.The bolts are a bit shorter I believe than the Brownings and the parts are not interchangable.I have found parts available from Gun Parts Corp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts