Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine called and he is having some problems loading a Remington Model 11. He is able to put one round in the chamber and close the bolt. Loading shells into the magazine tube is the issue. I fired the gun a coupleof weeks ago and had no problem getting one into the chamber and putting another into the magazine. I fired the gun and it worked and cycled the second round into the chamber and I fired it again. He just purchased the gun.

Thanks for the help. The forum is one of the great things.

Stinger

·
Registered
556 Posts
It depends

That shotgun may have a magazine cutoff that could prevent putting rounds in the magazine tube. If you were able to load the magazine a few weeks ago and now it cannot be loaded then someone needs to determine what changed. I would check with a competent gunsmith. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Remington Model 11 has no magazine cutoff.That feature was reservesd for the Browning Model guns.Wish I had mine here to look at the issue but I gave it to my son quite a few years ago.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. My friend called and he solved the mystery. There is a button which releases the bolt. The same button has to be held down to allow the loading of shells into the magazine tube. He is happier now that the mystery is solved. Thanks for the input. Another difference between the A-5 and the Model 11 is the button issue. I wonder if the earliest Browning A-5 shotgun operated the same way.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There is a button which releases the bolt. The same button has to be held down to allow the loading of shells into the magazine tube. ...... Another difference between the A-5 and the Model 11 is the button issue. I wonder if the earliest Browning A-5 shotgun operated the same way.
I'm not sure when Browning started offering the Speed Load feature, perhaps in the 30's, but until then the A-5s carrier was locked by the release button. I just fired one this week like that and it took a little getting used to, depressing the button to load the magazine. The Speed Load feature allows you to feed a shell into the magazine with the bolt open and its automatically fed into the chamber. The bolt latch button is not controlling the carrier. The carrier is 2 piece on the Speed Load models and 1 on the others. To my knowledge none of the off-shoot guns, Savage, Remington, etc, ever had the Speed Load feature or the magazine cut-off. An exception would be when Remington was making the A-5's after the fall of Belgium in 1940 but these guns are Browning A-5's, not Remington Model 11's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts