Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello --

I'm new to this forum and need a little advice. I acquired a Mod. 1894 later production sporting rifle, probably made around 1909. The serial number is 449000. It has a 26" full octagon barrel and full-length magazine tube. I have put it back into (I think) working condition except for one thing, the front sight, which was missing.

Whoever had the gun in the past evidently tried to change out the front sight and buggered the dovetail cuts in the barrel so badly that even the largest stock front sight I could find (0.40" across the dovetail points) just slops around inside. Do any of you have any suggestions other than sending it to a gunsmith? The ones we have here in Reno are either not very good or say they're too busy to want to mess with this small project.

Any advice would be appreciated. Best regards,

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could but the dovetail cut's too wide. Points of dovetail on the sight barely touch the narrowest edges of the cut. I can just about pull it straight out the top. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
OK, I gotcha, that's much larger than I expected.

You may need to fabricate a new sight. It might be possible to build-up one dovetail on the sight by welding, then recutting and refinishing. Or cut off one dovetail with a Dremel cut-off disc, move the two pieces apart an appropriate distance, then weld, fit and finish.

Make sure the sight you are using is correct. Some sights are designed for ramps and some for barrels.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Brownell's used to sell a very large oversized front sight with a post on it. You might want to check their website. You'd have to file it down to fit and then file the front post down to the correct height. Check with them. If you call them they'll help you over the phone.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
First I'd recommend a gunsmith.

But, if you want to fix it. the condition you have is very, very, common. someone pushed (pounded) the sight out from the wrong side (kitchen gunsithing). This expands the dovetail so that a sight will move through it completely. the solution is get a new sight or, STAKE it. With the sight out, take a brass punch and gentle pound the top edge of the dovetail down until the sight will fit with some friction. You can pound down both sides of the dovetail. I assume you have a full octagon barrel so the top edge is longer than on a round barrel. Works very good and is the way a good 'smith would fix it.

But if you are not comfortable with doing it, take it to any licensed 'smith, it does not require high skill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will probably end up trying to do the job myself as we do not have much in the way of gunsmiths here in Reno now. Of the two I trusted, one retired and one moved away. The recession hit small businesses here pretty hard.

Regards to all,

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will probably end up trying to do the job myself as we do not have much in the way of gunsmiths here in Reno now. Of the two I trusted, one retired and one moved away. The recession hit small businesses here pretty hard.

Regards to all,

Dave

Hi, I was following this thread and was wondering how your front sight project worked out ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts