Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a model 270 Winchester .22 cal pump and it fails to eject fired rounds. I have replaced the firing pin, firing spring and ejector and still no luck. I have to turn it sideways and tap just to get them to come out. I've cleaned the crud out of it but not sure what else to do so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The barrel may be loose from the receiver.

~ Look for a gap between the rear of the barrel and the receiver, if one is present then the barrel needs tightened.

Lots, and I mean lots, of crud can build up in the rear of the barrel where the bolt and extractors fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've replaced the ejector and i took the barrel off and cleaned the entire gun really well. whats odd is seems like they don't even try to eject. but live round ejects just fine, almost launches them when ejecting.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here.

Not sure what is wrong with your rifle. I would talk to a competent gunsmith and get some opinions. It does not sound too serious. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could it be the ammo? I found a forum where a guy was talking about the ammo expanding due to cheaper quality brass and it getting hung in there.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If I get this right, you're getting extraction, but not ejection-right? And loaded rounds WILL eject! I've only worked on a couple of those rifles, but not for ejector problems, let me think on it some and I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, loaded rounds eject just fine it will launch them out but not fired rounds they just get hung in there and i have to turn the gun sideways and they fall out.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
That is a puzzler! The only thing that I can think of is the ejector is somehow slipping over or around the empty case! Try bending it a little in one direction or the other, and work with it with trial and error, making sure you have no loaded ammunition on the bench. I would strongly advise dummy rounds for a thorough function check,---Or, take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
try bending the ejector? i have the old one i because i bought a new one thinking it was the ejector so i can try and mess with it. thanks ill post back if anything changes if not ill prob just take to gunsmith. its not a huge deal more of a annoyance then anything but it was my great grandfathers .22 so i would like to get it working in prime

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I've had problems like yours with Browning Buck Mark pistols, and that's all it took-just a little re-alignment with some needle nosed pliers! And it has to be the ejector causing the problem, since you are getting extraction. Good idea, by the way, to experiment on the old one!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
i guess i misunderstand extract, when i shoot it and pull the pump back the round stays in the gun and i have to turn it side ways to drop the round, i have a here picture of what it looks like i just placed the round in there but this is how it looks after i shoot
Extraction is the removal of the case from the chamber, this is the job of the extractor.

Ejection is the removal of the case from the receiver, this is the job of the ejector.

~~~

In this rifle, the firing pin is also the ejector. There is a leg on the back end of the firing pin that causes the firing pin to move forward on the rearward stroke of the forearm and eject the case.

Looking at the pics, it appears as if the case is falling out from under the extractor. Try to determine if the bolt assembly is incapable of holding the case in place. The extractor will hold the case on the right-hand side while the longer projection on the left-hand side of the firing pin holds the left side of the case.

Also try to determine if the Extractor Plunger and the Firing Pin Plunger are both in place.

Clean under the extractor.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Since it is extracting, as you say, the firing pin must be the problem! It's been about five years since I worked on one, and I guess I confused this mechanism with something else. However, the problem persists, and it has to be that projection on the firing pin that you referred to! So, Criter, change out the FP! Sorry!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought a new firing pin " Firing Pin, Replacement (Marked R) Gun Parts | 383750B | Numrich Gun Parts " and replaced it along with the Extractor and firing pin spring. I had the same issue with before as i do with the new parts. One thing is kinda odd though is on gunpartscorp it stats the Extractor Plunger is a BALL where as mine is not within the housing of all this where the spring, firing pin and extractor are there was the firing pin spring with two pieces on each end and they looked like the Firing Pin Plunger "http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1393460B.htm" but no ball in there

1 - 20 of 31 Posts