Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I called Marlin Firearms to order a rear band assembly for attaching a swivel. The guy asked if I had a 336W or a 336 C because the part numbers were different. I've searched online and I I've not found enough information to sort this out.

So, what is the difference between a 336W and a 336C, other than the year it was made? And, if my model is 336 without a letter, how does that compare to the W or the C for getting parts?

Still Learning!

P.S. Any recommendations as to the preference for 1" military sling vs. a 1 1/4" for hunting in the deep woods? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

Welcome to the forum !

The 336C's FE band doesn't have the sling swivel QD stud that the 336W has.

Model 336C illustrated:

Model 336W illustrated:

FWIW, I don't use a sling for hunting/shooting - especially with rifles that have two-piece stocks.

I use a light carrying strap that resides in a coat or haversack pocket until it's needed on the rifle, so I can use both hands for something else.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum.

In the Marlin 336 rifle the letters "W" & "C" in this case stand for the model designations within a very similar "family". The rifles (and this part) are pretty much identical, save for the type of stock and perhaps, the metal finish.

If your rifle is a 336 with 20" barrel, full length magazine, gloss blue and walnut stocks, then it would likely be a 336C. The "W" version is somewhat less expensive, sporting birch stocks (newer models have laminate stocks) and matte finish metal (again newer versions).

Most of the newer rifles come equipped with sling swivels, so I'd guess yours is an older rifle. If you'd like to pass on your rifle's first 3-4 digits in the serial number, we could likely give you a year built date. (do not show the entire number, but substitute additional digits with an "X" instead).

So, I'd think the deciding factor would be if your rifle had walnut stocks "C" or birch/laminate "W", gloss "C" or matte blue (later "W"). The person you spoke with should have been knowledgeable enough to have queried you on those differences :confused:

ADDED: the newest version of the 336C does have a band mounted swivel stud.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. You're right, the person at Marlin should have known, but I've learned that if you don't ask for a Marlin tech support person that knows Marlin lever actions you don't get very helpful information.

My 35 was manufactured in 1984. By what you're saying I'm sure I need the 336C part. I need a sling to compensate for my physical limitations of carrying much of anything without support. By the way, I thought about a sling like yours. There is a retired Ranger that hand-makes para-cord slings and posts them on ebay. I got one for my Henry lever action so I wouldn't have to drill holes in the stock.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
It's a darn shame Marlin no longer sells the 1" leather sling bearing their logo, like they did for many years. I got my 1st on a NIB 336ER and years later ordered about 8 or 9 more from Marlin for as little as $10/each 15 years later. Nice handy & easy to use slings that also carry an embossed "Marlin" logo.

I even use them on my Winchesters :D

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
My favorite sling for handy rifles like Marlin levers in a loop shotgun sling that I keep in my back pocket, and only use when I'm dragging out a deer. Still hunting is hampered by a gun on your shoulder.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
There is no such thing as "hunting" while a rifle is slung, I totally agree. But, it makes pulling a rifle up into a tree stand much easier and also allows for walking in & out in the dark a bit easier as well. My sling remains in my backpack from the time I arrive "up" in my stand until I lower the rifle and walk out in the dark. Every one of my dozen Marlin lever guns came with studs already there. Mine were all made from 1980 to 2008.

Actually, looking at the pics from my 2012 & 2013 bucks, the slings were even taken off after letting the rifles down and walking up on the dead deer that were both in sight.

(336ER & 444S)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
You probably already know this, but just in case, that little white circle on the lower edge of the buttstock is NOT a place to screw in a swivel stud. It's called the Marlin bullseye, and is reserved for no purpose at all. Google it

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just installed sling swivles on my Marlin 336

I have a 336c in 35rem made in 79. I bought the Weaver sling set that is two piece front that clamps around the mag tube and the rear you do have to drill a hole in the stock for the stud. It's straight forward easy operation and took 1/2 hr to do. I mounted the front just ahead of the fore end and the rear about 1/2 way between the Marlin dot and the butt plate. For the rear hole I took my pocket knife and put a small flat spot the size of the swivel then put a center punch mark center of the flat. Use a drill bit the size of the shank of the swivel screw and drill perpendicular to the angle of the butt stock and centered to the width of the butt. I put a piece of tape on the bit to mark the depth I needed to go.

I think a sling is more helpful than just to haul your gun up to your tree stand or over your shoulder in and out of the woods in the dark. It increases you steadiness in offhand shots greatly when still hunting.

I just saw a leather Marlin sling sell for about $30 on Ebay and will buy one when I find one at a flea market or gun show for a lesser price. Till then I have a 1" nylon web sling that I swap from lever guns depending on the one I want to use at the time.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Y

ou probably already know this, but just in case, that little white circle on the lower edge of the buttstock is NOT a place to screw in a swivel stud.

It's called the Marlin bullseye, and is reserved for no purpose at all. Google it

With all due respect, the well-know Marlin bullseye buttstock inlay does have a purpose -

Marlin installs them as an identifier/differentiator, so a Marlin is easily told from other leverguns, when all are standing upright & side-by-side in a rifle rack - common at several places, like a gun club or a funshop.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had heard the 'W' was for rifles sold through WallMart.
For a sling, take a look at the Hunter Quick Shot, quick adjustable. It is adjustable without
any buckles - very handy.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I had heard the 'W' was for rifles sold through WallMart.
For a sling, take a look at the Hunter Quick Shot, quick adjustable. It is adjustable without
any buckles - very handy.
You are correct in that LOTS of 336Ws were/are sold at Wally World. But it's a "standard" model able to be ordered or purchased anywhere. For the last few years the "W" model has had laminate stocks, not the birch of the older ones. The newer "W"s also come equipped with sling swivel studs, as does the 336C.

Marlin Model 336W

·
Banned
106 Posts
Ive used the "military" leather slings for 40+ years, longer if I figger in the mil width sling on my .22 Mossberg. Wider is nice as the weight of the rifle is spread over a greater area. Ive gotten used to a sling with a wider patch over the shoulder area. Like many guys of my generation, I was taught to shoot rifle over a sling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts