Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a model 70 ranger in 6.5x55 anyone ever seen one? I can't find anything about it. and I've never seen one.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
That is really a surprising cartridge to see in the Ranger model. I have a 270 Winchester in a M70 Ranger, but didn't think they ever chambered that gun for the Swede...could it be an after-market job?

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's my favorite rifle/cartridge combination on the planet !!!!! If you ever decide to part ways with it, please let me know !!! HD1

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had a Ranger 30-06 for a couple months. Returned it only because some yahoo previous owner drilled the front sight screw hole complete through into the bore! I didn't notice it in the pawn shop. SHop owner returned my money 100%, though.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
At different times, US gun makes make small limited runs for sale in Europe. Some of those guns stay stateside, but are really meant to be shipped overseas. Years ago I bought a 6.5x55 Ruger MKII. I got a letter from Ruger stating that those guns where made for the european market. So I would say you have a european gun that for whatever reason never made the trip. That would make it more valuable than the average Ranger, but nothing to write home about. It shoul;d be a good gun for just about anything you need to do.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I know Winchester chambered the Featherweight in many of the 'oldies but goodies'. There was the 7X57, 257 Roberts, and the Swede as well. Perhaps a Featherweight barreled action ended up in a Ranger stock, but maybe Winchester offered a small run of 'Swedish Rangers'. If so, it would be something to hang onto.
"Swedish Rangers"...I've got a mental image of guys with dark face-paint getting ready to do a HALO jump, while eating fine chocolate and checking the time on exquisitely made wristwatches. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input guys a run for europe is what I was thinking. It's not my pre 64 270 or 30 06 but it's a shooter.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have a friend that has a Ruger 1 in the 6.5 Sweed. He is an excellent shot with anything and is a handloader. He is really making the rest of us envious. The round and rifle are performing well on our small whitetail.

·
Banned
92 Posts
It is a horrible rifle and cartridge. I mean the absolute worst. You better let me take it off of your hands for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And if He does not want it.....

It is a horrible rifle and cartridge. I mean the absolute worst. You better let me take it off of your hands for you.

And I will be 2nd in line if Bear does not want that "Horrible Rifle"... :)
Ed

Truth be told, I LOVE the 6.5x55mm and have Never found a Rifle in this caliber that I did not Love!!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I looked in back issues of The Gun Digest and the Winchester Model 70 "Ranger" wasn't listed or chambered in 6.5 X 55 m/m. The Ranger was chambered for the: .223, .243, .270, & .30-06. Your rifle might have been fitted with a Winchester Featherweight barrel in 6.5X55 m/m.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Good point...Swedish Rangers would be in swimsuits, eating delicious meatballs?

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
It depends

Back in the 1990s, I bought a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5X55mm and another one in 6mm Remington. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1 Posts
6.5 x 55

I just seen one at a gun show. Been looking for a rifle in this caliber for some time but this had me puzzled. The barrel had 6.5 x55 and basic markings including the "Ranger" on it. The kicker was when I first seen it I thought it was a XTR Featherweight till I seen "Ranger" on it and didn't have any markings designating it as a featherweight or an XTR. Wood is really nice, has the magazine plate like a regular model 70 would. Not wanting to hijack a thread but am really curious and wondering if I should kick myself for not buying it. I was just really cautious thinking it might be something someone had cobbled together or a really nice piece.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You should probably kick yourself.....

I look at it like this, who cares if it was maybe cobbled together with parts from a few different variations of the M70? If its not a pre-64 it had no collectors value to begin with. So if it looked good and was at a price you were willing to pay, whats the difference?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts