Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, love the forum. I have been using it for some time now, but this is my first post. I bought a model 70 westerner chambered in 243win. My question is did they make only one size action in the westerner. The spacing between the action screws is about 7.5 inches, which I would believe to be a long action. My next question is on the date of manufacture. I have read that they started makeing the westerner in 1982, but when I type in my serial number it says year of manufacture 1981. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
312 Posts
And I thought that a M70 "Westerner" was only the pre 64 .264WM!

To top it off I found this on the net: "Here is a Winchester Model 70 Westerner, 22” long barrel, 30-06 caliber. Yes, it’s a real Winchester. The barrel is marked “Winchester Model 70 Westerner 30-06 SPRG Made in New Haven, Conn. U.S.A. Winchester Proof Steel” not U.S.R.A. Serial number G1572xxx. The walnut stock is very good with no cracks or chips complete with the original Winchester marked black rubber butt plate. Bore and rifling are very good. Did I mention it’s a 30-06? Wow! What a great cartridge."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Model70

I believe that back in 1981 -1982. Winchester sold out to US Repeating Arms. Which still carrried the Winchester name. When USRA bought Winchester they bought everything, including the manufacturing plants. So your rifle was probably pruduced in 81 or so.

As far as the Westerner, it has been around for a long time ( late 50's early 60's). Actually Savage 99 is somewhat correct, as the first rifle that was produced as the "Westerner" was a 264 Winchester Magnum with a 26" barrel. Then they had the bright idea of making a featherweight in 264 with a 22 inch barrel, didn't work out quite so well, as the 22 inch barrel stripped the 264 of its velocities, therefore opening the door for the 7mm Magnum to come in a steal it's thunder.

Later on many chamberings were offered in rifles labeled the "Westerner" Including your 243, with various barrel lengths. However I do not have an answer about the action length.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, the old original Westerner came out in the late 50s and was only in .264. Friends tell me they are high value with original barrel, even if shot out because collectors do not shoot them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts