Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am relatively new to the topic being discussed, however, I have a pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight .270 which I am in need of a new scope. I currently have a Simmons Pro Hunter 3-9x40 which is just getting me by for now until I can acquire a more permanent scope for it. My problem is, that this scope requires high mounts and I was wondering if there are any scopes that any of you have used or have experience with that do not require the high mounts. I'm looking in the price range of around $300 and any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, most of the use of my gun is for big game hunting, up to and including elk and I typically would limit my shots to a maximum of 300 yards.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Leupold vx II 3-9x40, about 300$ most places. I don't have a pre 64 mod 70 but I am suprised you need high rings with a 40mm obj. Is it because of the raised band on the pre 64 barrels? Otherwise you could go with a vxL leupold but you won't get one for 300$ Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leupold vx II 3-9x40, about 300$ most places. I don't have a pre 64 mod 70 but I am suprised you need high rings with a 40mm obj. Is it because of the raised band on the pre 64 barrels? Otherwise you could go with a vxL leupold but you won't get one for 300$ Good luck
I'm not sure exactly why, but the bolt does not clear the Simmons scope that I have unless I use the high rings.

·
Registered
787 Posts
With its clarity, a nice Leupold 2x7 with a 33mm objective would be all you might need and can be mounted a good bit lower. In scopes, power never makes up for clarity (resolution). Actually, a good fixed 6x would probably be ideal.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yes, the Simmons line uses a ridiculously long eyepiece, which I believe is the issue. A good Leupold VXII 3-9x40, 4-12x40, or 2-7x33 will work just fine and should only use medium height rings. The 2-7x33 might even use short rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still unsure of which scope though. I would prefer the 3-9x40 VXII but if I could get away with short rings with the 2-7x33 then I might conside that. Would a 7 power scope be sufficient though out to 300 yards, or should I try and stick with the 9 power?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still unsure of which scope though. I would prefer the 3-9x40 VXII but if I could get away with short rings with the 2-7x33 then I might conside that. Would a 7 power scope be sufficient though out to 300 yards, or should I try and stick with the 9 power?
I would think on something the size of an elks lungs the 7x would be fine, but I've never shot an elk. If you were shooting eggs at 300yds you may want more power.:)

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I guess it depends on your ability, I am comfortable with iron sights out to 600 yards, and routinely shoot to 300 yards with no magnification (M1 Garand, NRA Highpower). On the other hand, my precision rifles are equipped with fixed 42x Leupolds for 600 yards. You can see the hairs on a gnat at 100 yards with that scope.

I would not be afraid to hunt big game with a 6 or 7 power scope, I personally think a fixed 6x would be the perfect all around hunting scope.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I have a pre '64 Featherweight in .270 and it wears a 4X scope(ala Jack O.). A 1950's Sako .270 I own wears a 2-7x33 Leupold and a .270 BAR I have wears a 3-9x40 Leupold. A 2-7 would work just fine, I feel, to 300 yds on big game, no problem. I'd have no problem at 200+ with my 4X. Nothing wrong with a 3-9 either, pick your poison! The 3-9 Leupold would work just fine on a Featherweight wearing medium height rings. The ocular lenses on Leupolds are not overly big like a Burris FFII, Zeiss, etc. My pre '64 wears low rings and it has just enough bolt clearance. There is no barrel "band" on the Featherweight model as on the standard pre '64, by the way. Another fine scope in that price range that should also work fine is a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40.

Enjoy that very fine rifle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am going to take the advice of a few of you and go with the VX-II 3-9x40. I'll post pics once I do! Thanks again for all of your posts.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You won't be sorry. The VXII is a nice hunting scope. I've had one on my primary deer rifle for several years now and it's never let me down. It holds zero perfectly and is crisp and clear.

·
Registered
574 Posts
+1 on that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts