Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 94 30WCF short rifle with 20 in octagon barrel made in 1897 that has a bad bore, the rest of the rifle is nice and tight (not much blue left though). Should I have it rebored to 32 win special or rebarreled to 30-30? I want to keep the original barrel length. Has a very good balance that way.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I have a model 94 30WCF short rifle with 20 in octagon barrel made in 1897 that has a bad bore
What is wrong with the barrel? Pitted? Rifling worn? Before commenting on the course of action I ask these questions.

If the bore is pitted, but not terribly, I've seen fire-lapping do wonders to make what might be considered a "bad bore" become excellent shooters. If worn rifling, you might consider trying some larger diameter cast bullets in the gun before scrapping a vintage barrel on what otherwise sounds like a rather pristine, servicable ORIGINAL rifle.

Interestingly, either way, if you have to lap the bore to get rid of some pitting, or the bore is simply worn, you might consider slugging the barrel to determine dimensional data, then select bullets of appropriate diameter accordingly. Simple as this sounds, many, many times these old, original barrels can be persuaded to deliver some really astonishing accuracy with somewhat oversize gas-checked cast bullets.

The throats in these old rifles typically are rather generous in diameter to begin with, and thus chambering ammo with bullets from .310" through .312" seated in the brass is often not an issue, and can allow you to enjoy your rifle, while still leaving it in its original condition.

Just food for thought and consideration.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
barrel pitted and worn

The barrel is pitted from beginning of rifling to muzzle. The lands are worn with no sharpedges left at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If its not cleaning up good,and not shooting cast lead , I would go with a rebore, no need to loose the nice original bbl, I wouldn't fool with the 32, unless you want the lest amount of metal taken, when I had mine done I went with the 38-55 chambering, and specified the bore to set up so I could use .375 slugs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
retire old 94

well I got one in a little better shape made in 1910 it was grandpas. I got one from the custom shop in 1970 thats my shooter but i hate to have one that is just a wall hanger. If it dont shoot it is just an ugly club.:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
CLC-

My thought would be to have a barrel liner installed & re-do the Gun in it's original chambering of .30 WCF. That way - you'll maintain the original apearance of the gun and all original markings will be correct on the exterior of the barrel.

I understand the outfit "redman" does a very good job.

I'm in agreement with you - If it don't shoot - It's not a gun!

Best regards-

Sky C.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Have it rebored for a wildcat, upsize to 35 and shoot 38, 357 cast bullets out of it. Take care and have fun. Swany

1 - 8 of 8 Posts