Shooters Forum banner

Model 94 trigger

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  J Miller 
J Miller,

Yes there is a lot of junk out there these days.  I just bought a pre-crossbolt safety Marlin, and this is one of the reasons why.

I noticed that you mentioned the Taurus key safety.  I have a .357 Titanium.  Problem has been solved as I have already lost the key.  So it will never be turned on!  I may consider putting some locktite in it so it won't move.  I also noticed that it is not a true key with tumblers, it appears to be just a tamper-resistant Torx screw.  Some lock, huh?

Well, anyway, sometimes a feller's just got to say what he thinks.  As long as you're not attacking other people on the forum I am interested in hearing what you have to say.

Any reason you don't like New Model Rugers?  I have several and like not having the worry about keeping an empty chamber under the hammer, mainly when introducing new shooters.  They have enough to think about already.  Also if I cock the hammer in the field and don't shoot, don't have to monkey around with lining everything up when I let it back down.  They do have their faults, though.

They're not the best finished gun in the world, but as Marshall says, Ruger makes one heck of a do-it-yourself handgun!

I've had two instances of base pin jump.  Both with light loads, incidentally.

One was just too much oil on the base pin.  Easily cured.

The other, the cross-pin was not fully engaging the slot in the base pin.  A needle file cured this.

I do have Belt Mountain pins on a couple of guns, although neither had a jumping base pin.  I was just dressing them up, I guess.  I suppose I have been lucky, my Rugers and I have gotten along pretty well.

Action job... well, you can get a spring kit cheap.  Or you can just take one leg of the trigger return spring off.   That pretty well cures them, for free.

I can see how it would be distressing to go from an old-style SA to a new one.   So you might have a good idea, just stick with what you know.  For lever actions, I started out with no safety and a half-cock notch, I know what you mean!  I don't want a lever gun with a safety for that reason.  But with my revolvers, first SA I has was a new model Ruger so I guess that's what I'll stick with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.