Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Model 94AE 30-30 Win or Model 336 Marlin 30-30

Ok guys I have always wanted a lever action 30-30 and now I have found two that I wouldn't mind having, but the only problem is that I can only get one of them right now. The winchester has a 24" barrel on it very different than the normal 20" barrels you always see. The Marlin has a 20" barrel on it. I am not worried about the ability to mount a scope so that is not an issue. I just looking for a little guidance on which gun now is the more reliable gun with the best fit and finish and craftsmanship.

Any help you guys can give is most appreciated.

Thanks
FNMAUSER

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually the marlin is a Model 336. Sorry for the confusion must of type to quickly.

Thanks FNMAUSER

·
Registered
886 Posts
Of the two I think you should buy a Chevy! Actually this one subject that more or less is a personal choice deal. People will argue it to death just like a ford/chevy debate. I have had both Marlin and Winnie levers, for me the Marlins are better, they dissasemble easier for cleaning and just fit ME better. I would spend some time at the store handling both of them and maybee see if a friend or two might have one you could sample.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have held both of them and they both feel great. I have also shot guns like them before and both shot good. I just wanted to see if it was true that one gun is better than the other like the winchester having a 24" barrel rather than the the 20".

FNMAUSER

·
Registered
291 Posts
FNMAUSER said:
I have held both of them and they both feel great. I have also shot guns like them before and both shot good. I just wanted to see if it was true that one gun is better than the other like the winchester having a 24" barrel rather than the the 20".

FNMAUSER
FNMAUSER
I have both the 94AE and the 336. I have found that I like them both. One thing for you to consider with the two guns you are looking at is the barrel length. What are you going to use the gun for? My 94AE is the Trapper model with the 16" barrel and it is a very handy gun to carry in a vehicle and use in tight quarters. The 336 has a 20" barrel and the 4" difference makes it a little more difficult to move around with in tight quarters. The 24" barrel would really be long to move around. Just one more thing to consider in making your choice.
Cary

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I also have both and they are both good guns.

If it were me I would take the Winchester.

Reasons:

1. To me the Winchester carries better in the hand;

2. The 94 is easier to load singleshot, more convenient when testing out different loads or teaching newbies;

3. I like long barrels. They are quieter, give longer sight radius, the weight forward balance seems smoother and steadier when shooting offhand or at running targets.

I, personally, have never felt handicapped by the slightly longer barrels any more than I have felt handicapped by my shotguns, most of which have even longer barrels.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the 24" barrel give anything more ballistically than say the 20" or 16" barrel in a 30-30 win.

Thanks
FNMAUSER

·
Registered
291 Posts
FNMAUSER said:
Does the 24" barrel give anything more ballistically than say the 20" or 16" barrel in a 30-30 win.

Thanks
FNMAUSER
FNMAUSER
I am far from an expert but from my knowledge I don't think you will gain much in ballistics going with the 24" barrel using factory ammunition. Now if you reload I think you may be able to develop a load that will utilize the 24" barrel length. Most calibers have a limitation on where a longer barrel is able to gain more ballistically. I think the 20" barrel is pretty much the middle of the road length for the 30-30. There will be some loss ballistically with the 16" barrel but depending on your use maybe not enough for you to notice. What is your intended use for the gun and do you reload? If you are considering all three there is a lot of difference in the way the 16" length and the 24" length will handle. I am not trying to sway you to either gun I just want you to think about all the aspects of these guns and end up with a gun you will like.
Cary

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I do reload and have been looking at the possibilities of building a load for this gun. Really this gun will be used to possibly hunt whitetails in the brush with open sights, and more than likely it's home will be in the extended cab of my truck.

To me personally a longer gun does not bother me. If I can swing an auto with a 30" barrell on skeet targets I think I can swing a 24" barrelled gun just as well.

TRUTHLY I JUST WANT A LEVERACTION GUN BUT I WANTED THE BEST LEVERACTION THAT IS OUT THERE. I KNOW SOME OF YOU LIKE THE MARLINS AND SOME LIKE THE WICHESTER. WHEN IT COMES TO BOLT ACTIONS I LIKE MAUSERS,WINCHESTERS AND RUGERS BECAUSE THEY ARE CONTROL ROUND FED WITH THAT BIG OL MAUSER CLAW EXTRACTOR. WHAT ARE YOUR GUYS FEELINGS TOWARD THE MARLIN AND WICHESTER LEVERGUNS.

I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT LEVERACTIONS AND I AM HOPING THAT YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT.

·
Registered
291 Posts
FNMAUSER said:
Yes I do reload and have been looking at the possibilities of building a load for this gun. Really this gun will be used to possibly hunt whitetails in the brush with open sights, and more than likely it's home will be in the extended cab of my truck.

To me personally a longer gun does not bother me. If I can swing an auto with a 30" barrell on skeet targets I think I can swing a 24" barrelled gun just as well.

TRUTHLY I JUST WANT A LEVERACTION GUN BUT I WANTED THE BEST LEVERACTION THAT IS OUT THERE. I KNOW SOME OF YOU LIKE THE MARLINS AND SOME LIKE THE WICHESTER. WHEN IT COMES TO BOLT ACTIONS I LIKE MAUSERS,WINCHESTERS AND RUGERS BECAUSE THEY ARE CONTROL ROUND FED WITH THAT BIG OL MAUSER CLAW EXTRACTOR. WHAT ARE YOUR GUYS FEELINGS TOWARD THE MARLIN AND WICHESTER LEVERGUNS.

I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT LEVERACTIONS AND I AM HOPING THAT YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT.
FNMAUSER
Considering new guns I don't think there is much overall difference between the Winchester and the Marlin lever guns when you are looking at fit, finish, and quality. I am going to stick my neck out here and let you know which one I would consider if I was going to get one now for what you are going to use the gun for. I like what I see on the new Winchester Timber Scout. I have included a link to it on the Winchester site. http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=534&type_id=119&cat=003C.
I think this is a fine looking gun and I like the features it has (receiver peep sight, scout scope mount, pistol grip stock, 18" barrel).
Cary

·
Registered
352 Posts
Either will do you well. The Marlin is a bit more versatile (ease of mounting a scope), but they're both fine. BTW - ANYTHING but a Chevy.....

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts
This thread is 16 years old, chief...

Reactions: fxdwgpig
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.