Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 30-06 mauser and was wanting to get some back ground on it. the stock has #11 and on the receiver has 11 stamped into it. the barrel is about 18'' in length . there is an E with star stamped into the left side of the receiver also.
any info would be great, thanks...

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome pudge. What kind of info are you looking for? Any chance of posting some pics of the rifle? Pics would help our members in providing any info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome pudge. What kind of info are you looking for? Any chance of posting some pics of the rifle? Pics would help our members in providing any info.
tried to post images but could not for some reason. the stock is similiar to a M1 carbine, sights are like an SKS. just wondering if they were reliable and shoot decent. with its short barrel i imagine it is good to 150 yards or so. is there a way to mount a scope? i am gonna restore it and save it for my son when he gets old enough to shoot it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,694 Posts
Is this an original military mauser, or one that has been converted? Sounds like a military surplus gun. A few countries used them, or had them converted from other calibers.

Any other markings?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it also say FAB. NAT. D'ARMES de GUERRE HERSTAL - BELGUIQE on left side if chamber. - 30-06 is stamped upside down near front sight. as long as it shoots straight i will be happy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,694 Posts
Ok that helps. I think that Belgium and perhaps one of the carribean nations had original military mausers in .30-06. The short barrel makes me think it was one of the carribean nation guns (which would have been manufactured in Europe of course), but I don't keep up with the military collecting anymore.

I may be confusing that story with something else exported from Belgium, but there are a ton of mauser variants.

Neat find.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have commercial one that was built between the wars. ..It was in 7.9mm but the barrel was shot and I decided to rebarrel it. I have a local gunsmith (Mark Harris, Rolla Mo) true the action, barrel face, and he reamed the chamber in .308. I lapped the bolt, we slimmed the trigger guard and installed an aftermarket bolt shroud and a Timney trigger. This thing really shoots....

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Interesting. Richard's link indicates at the top it's a 30-06, but text below is '30.03'. I think the only difference is neck length between the two (30-03 being longer), but shoulder is the same? Were rifles chambered in the '03 before it really became anything?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The only rifles I ever heard of chambered in 30-03 were the 1903 Springfield and the 1895 Winchester lever action. All the Springfields were sent back to the armory and rechambered for 30-06, so a 30-03 Springfield would be pretty rare.
I suspect the reference to 30-03 in that link is a typo.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting. Richard's link indicates at the top it's a 30-06, but text below is '30.03'. I think the only difference is neck length between the two (30-03 being longer), but shoulder is the same? Were rifles chambered in the '03 before it really became anything?
The price quoted for the rifle supports Jack's suggestion. I don't think an original 30-'03 in any kind of condition would be on offer for $450. Here's a link to a page on the Winchester 1895 that gives a list of the calibers in which it was offered:

http://aaa-webs.com/aaa/webs/homestead/courses/1895/history-1895.htm

Maj. Gen. Hatcher writes "[The 30-'06] had the same case as the older one, except that the neck was shortened .07 inch, the bullet was of the sharp pointed or so-called spitzer type, weighing 150 grains, and having a muzzle velocity of 2700 feet per second." The 30-'03 used a round-nosed bullet and had a muzzle velocity of 2300 feet per second according to the same source. Over four months at the end of 1906 and the beginning of 1907, all previously manufactured rifles were returned to the armory and re-fitted for the new cartridge. According to Hatcher's tables, this means that approximately 172,011 rifles were recalled for alteration.

I do not get the impression that the new ( 30-'03 ) cartridge made much progress onto the civilian market during its very brief period of use, but I haven't found an explicit statement to that effect.

Best,

Trad

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
No research....but have seen quite a few that look like they got run though one factory or another (likely Parker Hale or BSA..although the BSA ones usually have a BSA marking somewhere)that are close enough to twins tomake me think there actually factory made and not hobby-built.

At the time, just thought it was odd that so many had nearly "Made in England" markings, British proofs, fore end bedding (the wood inserts to remove any "steps"), and identical barrel lengths/sights.

Don't know who did it...likely BSA or Parker Hale...but that's a guess) and likely shortly after WWII when times were tough in England.

Am reasonably sure they were some factory's quick-money maker to help in rebuilding.

·
Registered
353 Posts
No research....but have seen quite a few that look like they got run though one factory or another (likely Parker Hale or BSA..although the BSA ones usually have a BSA marking somewhere)that are close enough to twins tomake me think there actually factory made and not hobby-built.

At the time, just thought it was odd that so many had nearly "Made in England" markings, British proofs, fore end bedding (the wood inserts to remove any "steps"), and identical barrel lengths/sights.

Don't know who did it...likely BSA or Parker Hale...but that's a guess) and likely shortly after WWII when times were tough in England.

Am reasonably sure they were some factory's quick-money maker to help in rebuilding.

I believe Interarms was the originator of the post war sporterized Mauser. I had one for many years, and it truly was a great piece. From my early days, I remember being told that Interarms bought post WWll arms and equipment for pennies per pound. But I Never verified that. I was also told,...after buying, weapons were shipped to Manchester England where they were reworked and then shipped to their Virginia warehouses, for the USA market.

My neighbor, bought a 50cal BAR and 30 cal through the mail, from their Virginia distributor. I was told, back then, you could get anything war related,.... including planes and tanks through the mail.(y)

Here is what I found on the net, about INTERARMS,...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"AS A COMPANY, INTERARMS HAS HAD A LONG, convoluted history, and its Mark X rifle has too. According to various sources, a few rifles were built on Mauser actions manufactured by FN, but for the most part, it seems that the bulk of the Mark X rifles were built by Zastava in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. Allegedly, the Belgrade-based manufacturer obtained its Mauser-building machines from FN in Belgium, and it could be argued that other than the marking "Made In Yugoslavia," the actions differ little.

After being barreled in Yugoslavia, the actions were imported via Manchester, England, by Interarms in Alexandria, Virginia, and that's where their stocks were installed. If the model variation called for them, iron sights were added.

The Mark X is known for its almost excessive, highly polished blue. The craftsmen that barreled, buffed, and blued them were rather zealous, and depending on the craftsman's individual skills, some rifles have slightly rounded edges where the buffing wheel was applied a bit too aggressively. But all things considered, the deep, lustrous blue is worth it.

Other attributes the model is known for are accuracy and reliability.
Their performance has endeared them to the few shooters who have come to know and appreciate the Mark X."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts