Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Inactive account
338 Posts
I'm about as big a 444 junkie there is, but why are you wanting to re-invent the wheel, the 450marlin/45-70 makes use of a 400gr bullet brilliantly, in order to get a 24" 444 to 2100+fps with a 400gr bullet you would be at or above to top pressure range of SAAMI and most likely use non-standard powders.
I have a 24" 444 with a twist rate of 1-15, I tested a 360WFNGC .432 my top accurate load was a Avg of 2097fps, it kicked like H_ll and raised H_ll at the other end! That was about as high as I could go in velocity, and I do push the 444 hard, some say to hard.

IIMHO anything heavier then the 360gr is a waste in the 444, I cant see much more gain in 40 more grains.

Now Once upon a time I was working with Marshalls 250WFNGC .432 in a older 444, the "T" model as some call it, and was getting an avg of 2580fps as the accuracy load, now thats an intresting load! IMHO If I could have one DG load, that would be it, mild recoil, but absolutely devastating!

·
Inactive account
338 Posts
Starrbow; A number of years ago I was told that this could not be done....a 400 at 2150 from a Marlin levergun. I was also told that attaining 18.5" barrel + velocities in my 16.5" barreled "Peashooter" was impossible. So, I set out to find out "if" it could be done...first with the "Peashooter"...and now continuing on with a 24" 444 XLR. This is what I do....its interesting, and, it keeps me out of trouble....If you think that this project is nonsensical, I wont even start to explain why I am shooting those 405 grain bullets out of a 44 Mag revolver.
I feel that a 350gr hardcast can and will do anything a 405gr can, plus you don't have to modifiy the case in any way to shoot them, now the 405gr you will have to either ream or neck turn the case, I know when I was messing with them it was just to much trouble. Have at it and have fun!

·
Inactive account
338 Posts
"Guess curiosity has gotten the best of me"

This has happened to me many times, and I'm very much poorer because of it! But! I'm wiser as well!

I believe that the 405gr bullet will require about .200 more case length then a 335gr bullet. Thats one of the reasons I like WIDE FLAT NOSES it shortens the bullet some, plus I find WFN are a tad bit more accurate.

·
Inactive account
338 Posts
This modification and goal "may" be deemed as improbable, but, I dont believe it is "impossible"

When you get tired of sticking cases in the chamber you might believe it's impossible, but! I hope you succeed in you goal, if you can safely get a 405gr Hardcast bullet from a 24" barrel to 2150fps from a 444Marlin, then we will feel a worldwide chill go down the backside of the .458 crowd:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.