Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First glad to see the forum back up and running.
Wife dosent have to listen to me complain and moan
any more.
Tried to get a guide gun when they came out but seems nobody had one. So bought a Marlin 1895ss in 45/70. Put the Ashley sights on it. Just got it back from my gunsmith after having him port it for me, also installed a Uncle Mikes recoil pad on it,with luck maybe can get out and try it today or tomarrow. Dont have a chrono. but just looking to see how it works. Have loaded up a bunch of cast loads using diffrent weights and powders. Over the initial cost of the gun added another $175.00 in extras, course working in a gun store got the gun at cost. Will let all know in the near furture how it does.

Gun Runner

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Glad to see you back on the forums. I'll be interested to see what your ported full length barrelled 1895 in .45-70 yeilds in velocity when compared with the Guide Gun.

What type of porting did you have added to the barrel?

Let us know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modified Guide Gun

Marshall, havant had a chance to get out to try the gun since I got it back, the temp. keeps hanging around high 90'+. Dont have a crony to check them but might be able to talk someone with one to let me run a few through it. Using RL7 with a 405fn gc hard cast. My local gun smith (you might know him) is Jack Hunnington (related to Fred Hunnington), he cut three slots on each side, and reamed out the rifleing to just behind the ports, this should eliminate any leading on the outside of the barrell. My 10" blackhawk is mag-na-ported and with cast I get some leading, found that rubbing a little breakfree of clp, makes it easy to wipe the lead off. When it cools down a little will try and get some info on the loads, also have some store bought will try and run at the same time.

Reguards Gun Runner

·
Registered
238 Posts
gun runner - That sounds like a great combination! I'm trying to buy my brother-in-laws 30 yr old 1895 (straight stock, 22" barrel) so that I can do the same thing except having it Mag-na-ported and a glove lever from DRC installed. Looking forward to hearing how yours performs. CEJ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts