Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about this and I am by no means a gunsmith.
I own a Remington 581 and have been wondering if it is out of the question to remove the barrel and have threads cut in the receiver to fit a threaded barrel.
There are two reasons behind this thought:
1. I want faster twist at least 1:12 to stabilize slow bullets in cold weather. The standard rifling won't handle it.
2. a threaded barrel would provide a better alignment and more secure attachment.

What bothers me is that I would have to substitute a center fire barrel to get the needed twist rate and I know there are dimensional differences in the bore and rifling.
Is this doable or am I stuck with shooting at warmer temps?

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
No need to thread unless you're going to be swapping back and forth. The alignment is the same and the security is no different.
Buy a RIMFIRE blank in whatever twist you want and install it the same way as the OEM. All it takes is a lathe, needle file, a reamer, HS gauge and skill.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Re-barreling a 581 is definitely a skilled gunsmith task.
Brian Voelker specializes in 580 and 540 series guns, he's done several 541's for me. He can completely re-barrel your gun threading the action or set your existing barrel back and cut several different chambers. He's a accomplished benchrest shooter so his expectations for rimfire accuracy are not pedestrian.
His work is excellent.

https://www.guntrustdepot.com/FFL-Dealers/ViewDealer?id=38508

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how I missed this post but I am going to call to find out what is offered and what the costs are.
Thanks Kevinbear!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts