Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of carving a new stock for my REM 700 for bench rest shooting. Would it be difficult to laminate my own wood, or should I buy a laminate blank? Cost is my main concern!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,986 Posts
Hmmmmmm.............

Interesting concept.

Welcome to the board, BTW.

Considering the cost of veneer at the local Home Depot, or similar, the amount of epoxy required, the mess of mixing, curing and shaping - I'd say you'd be both time and money ahead to buy a semi-inletted laminated stock and be done with it. Besides, your better half would most probably really appreciate it too!!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
Spend some time cutting cured epoxy. Then think about what it is going to take to rough out a blank. Now, divide that by how many years longer you think you'll live.... you get the idea! It's a tremendous journey to cut a stock out of relatively soft (compared to epoxy) 'real' wood. I wouldn't want to make it any more difficult.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Not to mention finding a multi ton press to put the laminates under constant EVEN pressure while the expoxy cures.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Try this link for a laminate stock. (Richards Micro-Fit Gunstocks) I have used several of their stocks, both wood and laminate and have been very pleased with the quality. They are the manufacturer of many of the stocks used by major gun makers.. Their laminate selection covers everything from the standard colors and patterns to the wild side. Be sure and check their discount rack for a great deal. Their prices are great to begin with.

www.rifle-stocks.com

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Go to e-bay and do a search for laminate stocks, just remember when bench resting, you are generally dealing with single shots. That been said just look for a rem laminate stock, a lot of 40x rimfires with replacement stocks they fit. Swany

·
Banned
31 Posts
If you go to thr Richards site above they have a special on their laminates. As long as it is either black/grey, brown, or camo laminate they have any style and this includes benchrest styles for $109. They can even make the fore ends up to 5" wide for the BR guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stocks

Check Out Richards Micro-fit . I Think You Will Be Very Pleased. I Put A Claro Walnut On My .416 Taylor And Was Very Impreesed At The Quality You Get For The Money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts