Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been cleaning guns since I was a little kid. I can remember cleaning my first .22 rifle (which I still have) with my dad and was taught to do a good job. But now I have a very serious problem with mold in the safe. So you can imagine how angry I get when I have a clean gun with mold on it. At the bottom of the safe is a knockoff "golden rod" style dehumidifier and it just ain't cutting it. There is no silica packs or any other moister control devices in the safe. What should I do?:confused:

And yes the safe is in a moist place, and no it cant be moved for security reasons.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
As much as possable elimanate the source of the moisture infiltration. For example, can you raise the safe off the floor or place it on a heavy rubber mat?

Next I'd consider a dehumidifier or two in the area the safe is at.

Next, since your Golden Rod knock off isn't cutting it, I'd get a couple more of a good quality.

Guess that is the best I can offer. Maybe others who have defeated this issue will chime in.

Best wishes getting that deal under control!

·
Registered
363 Posts
We put an open box of baking soda in the fridge, maybe this might help? Otherwise agree with MontyF. Lou

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Walt45,

You definitely have a moisture problem. Where is the safe located?

The best place for gun storage is on the living level of a home; basements and attics are taboo. I have a vault adjacent to my kitchen in our mud room. I keep three, 2 pound dessicant packs in it with an indicator tab that turns pink when damp. I recharge them about once a month in the oven and the tabs turn blue.

Webley

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moldy safe

I think post #3 is on the right track: Put a box of baking soda in the frige and the mold in your safe will go away. Sorry couldn't resist the obvious!

Seriously, here in the Pacific Northwest I hear people mention wiring in a fixture and placing a light bulb in their safe. The constant heat eliminates the moisture and mold. Adjust wattage as needed to control moisture.

My safe is located in the center of the house on a raised floor and seems to stay moisture/mold free. In order to insure corrosion/moisture protection I use lanolin on both metal and wood surfaces.

10's and X's,

John

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Walt,
If the safe is in the basement and you are getting that much moisture, probably the under drains around the perimeter basement walls are stopped up or not completely working. Check your sump pump well. Does it have water in it? Does the sump pump run? The best thing is to remove the safe from the basement. The next thing would to set it on a wooden plat form. I have mine setting on a 2x4 frame covered with 3/4” ply wood. The concrete basement floor will draw moisture especially when steel is setting on it. The moisture gets trap between the steel safe floor and the concrete. Eventually the bottom floor of the safe will rust out. Then get some room dehumidifiers and dry out the room. Safe dehumidifiers are not designed to remove that much moisture. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Walt,
Second thought, did you knock out the safe tie downs in the safe floor and anchor the safe to basement floor? That makes four holes in the safe floor allowing a lot moisture to enter the safe. . Especially when you have a dry area the moisture will be absorbed to the same surrounding humidly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Walt,
Second thought, did you knock out the safe tie downs in the safe floor and anchor the safe to basement floor? That makes four holes in the safe floor allowing a lot moisture to enter the safe. . Especially when you have a dry area the moisture will be absorbed to the same surrounding humidly.

I did block the holes with tape a few weeks ago and it has helped greatly! Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to update everybody on the mold issue. I purchased a Stack-on rechargeable dehumidifier and I think its safe to say the problem is solved! Zero mold, zero problems. Not bad for $14.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I hope it doesn;t return Walt. As someone else said, get the safe off the floor as much as possible. I like the 2x4 idea, but not with it covered by plywood. Just make a nice hardwood frame with some air holes or slots for the safe to sit on - it needs air flow underneath. The baking soda and your new dehumidifier sound good, but I think you still need to eliminate the source of moisture, as much as possible anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had my safe in the basement sitting on a 2x4 frame with a 3/4' plywood top for 23 years with no problems. I do use a Golden Rod dehumidifier, other than that nothing else. The reason the safe is off the floor is just incase a pipe broke, hotwater heater tank leak etc... the water heater tank did go this last Memorial Day weekend just before we left for a three day camping trip, like 10 minutes before we left. Luckily it was BEFORE we left as I was able to shut off the breakers, water, and drain the rest of the tank then went camping. It could have been very ugly if it went out 10 minutes after we left.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just wanted to update everybody on the mold issue. I purchased a Stack-on rechargeable dehumidifier and I think its safe to say the problem is solved! Zero mold, zero problems. Not bad for $14.
Thank you! I've been using the disposable packs, didn't want a hole in my safe for a cord. It hasn't been a major problem, but i try to keep an eye on it during humid summer months,,,, Didn't know these existed, i'm buying one! Better safe (pun intended) than sorry. :p

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you! I've been using the disposable packs, didn't want a hole in my safe for a cord. It hasn't been a major problem, but i try to keep an eye on it during humid summer months,,,, Didn't know these existed, i'm buying one! Better safe (pun intended) than sorry. :p
I think they are great. No batteries to change or anything like that. Just plug it up over night when the indicator turns pink (6 weeks). Mine came with a hook that attaches to the back for easy use in the safe. :D

PS
Hit Amazon.com for the dehumidifier. I DID NOT POST THE LINK FROM BASS PRO SHOP!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Buy a couple of Cannisters of Silca Gell Midway USA sells them,? Works great Iv'e been using them in my Safe for years with out any Golden Rod just the Silca works fine for me. Having AC in the House helps a lot in the Humid weather also.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Walt45,

WHERE is your vault located? If I missed the location, please pardon me. My vaults are on the living level of my home. I keep 3 dessicant packs in the vaults that are up off the concrete floor in our Mud Room. Monthly, I swap out the dessicant packs and then put them in the oven at 265 degrees for 8 hours and reseal them in plastic bags until needed.

Webley

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
On the Wood Frame Idea for a 'wet' basement, may I suggest Pressure Treated Wood designated for Ground Contact use, or better yet Recycled Plastic "2x4"s?
Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
967 Posts
I know that you have whipped the problem, but just to converse, the baking soda won't help. It is for odor control, not moisture control (I trust that your guns don't stink). Sounds like a lesson on "knock offs"--I have a real Golden Rod that has been ginning for umpteen years, and it does the job it is supposed to do. Someone eluded to a light bulb. It basically works the same as a Golden Rod, raises the internal temperature above the ambient a few degrees. Usually, a 10 or 15 watt bulb does the trick, but in severe cases, could go to a 25 watt. That approach has been used to keep welding rod dry since Christ was a kid.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know that you have whipped the problem, but just to converse, the baking soda won't help. It is for odor control, not moisture control (I trust that your guns don't stink). Sounds like a lesson on "knock offs"--I have a real Golden Rod that has been ginning for umpteen years, and it does the job it is supposed to do. Someone eluded to a light bulb. It basically works the same as a Golden Rod, raises the internal temperature above the ambient a few degrees. Usually, a 10 or 15 watt bulb does the trick, but in severe cases, could go to a 25 watt. That approach has been used to keep welding rod dry since Christ was a kid.
Fortunately my guns smell like gun oil so no baking soda needed. My knock-off goldenrod was from Tractor supply and to be honest it just gets a little warm. I can place my hand at the top of the safe (the rod is at the bottom) and the surface of the interior of the safe is still cool to the touch. Like I said in other posts, rust isn't a problem with proper inhibitors but there is no gun specific chemicals that inhibit mold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts