Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of moly bullets. I just had a 17rem built and just got the barrel broke in and I am starting to work up some loads. I have a box of Hornady 25g moly bullets. I have been told by some folks that these are great to shoot and others tell me to stay away because they will hurt the bore. I am getting some real good groups w/ both 25g and 30g jacketed bullets but I am leary about trying the moly yet. Thanks

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Kyle:
Welcome to the Beartooth Forum. Apparently some folks had problems with corrosion when they shot and put their guns away without running some Kroil or any other oil or solvent down the barrel. Quite a few of the benchresters are still using Moly, and they're the most persnickity lot anywhere. Do a real cleaning before you switch to Moly and expect that the barrel will need 10-20 shots to settle down. I ran a box of Hornadys through my .222, the magpies didn't like them at all.

Check out what Walt Berger says. The benchresters allow that he knows what he's talking about.http://www.bergerbullets.com/faq.htm

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
103 Posts
The .17 Remington is one of the few cartridges that I will keep using moly with.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I have noticed after reading though all the custom barrel makers and bullet guys that no two agree on the proper way to clean, break in, or which bullets to use.:D
I am going to give the moly a try and see what happens.
Thanks again.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Moly Why

When Moly was released it was designed to give a number of advantages

1) Significantly ease cleaning because it reduced Copper fouling.
Fact Copper is a lot easier to clean than Moly, Moly has
been around for years and it still is not clear on how to
clean the barrel .... one thing is clear you should
not mix moly with copper bullets.
2)Will because of its slipperiness will increase speed.
Fact After 20 or thirty rounds Moly actually reduces
pressure and thereby speed ... speed drops
start adding powder if there is room in your
case---and try to equal your speed/pressures.
3)Will increase your accuracy.
Fact Most Benchrest shooters used to use Moly,
a few still do but they toss a barrel a lot sooner
than you would most Bench resters are back to
Copper.

I have tried it in 2 Guns and I must confess I mixed Moly and
Copper. I sold both Guns at a gun show could never get them to shoot original group sizes.

Maybe I am Confused But why would you use Moly again?

Check with Sinclair's and Take a look at their cross sectioned Barrels.

Just My opinion

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes moly does have a lot of downsides. One trick is to coat the bore with a moly prep then shoot it and DON'T clean it down to bare metal. You should have to clean 100 % about every 3000 rds.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Why Use it any way?

snake river rufus

I have heard about Moly Preping the barrel before
but many of these remedies designed to allow you to use moly quickly loose sight of the fact that all of the original
reasons to use Moly have never proven to carry any Measuresable merit. Let us assume that Your suggestion
is sound, now if it is easier to clean you gun it is still more complex to clean than Copper usage. Copper cleans easily.
Why use Moly anyway.

3 or 4 years ago Moly was everywhere but not today.
I noticed that Noslers new "AccuBond" do not offer Moly.

Some People believe that Moly can extend Barrel Life!
Most of us do not wear the barrels of our Guns out quickly
and when we do it is usually the throat. Moly does not effect throat wear.

We know that moly leaves residue on the barrel, copper also leaves residue. It is the layering of Moly then copper that
happens with most bullets that create the inconsistancies
that effect accuracy and complicate cleaning.

Remember if you are going to use Moly, expose yourself at least to the controversy it should be to accomplish some measureable benifit. Now since it complicates cleaning,
slows bullet performance and by layering can negatively effect accuracy Why in the heck would you use it.

Who knows for sure

·
Banned
585 Posts
Interesting debate. I shoot both molly coated bullets and sometime I molly the barrell with KG6 molly. The end result is I can clean the barrell much eaiser when its been molly coated.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say shoot both copper and moly, are you talking about without cleaning good between the two?
Does the moly actually 'bond' to the metal and cannot be cleaned out?
As I said before, I have looked at all of the custom barrel guys and none of them agree on anything.
The moly bullets were the only ones the store had and I was itching to reload. So far I am getting very good groups with copper. I know, why change when you are getting good goups but I hate for these bullets to sit on my reloading bench.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can only think of 2 reasons to mess with moly
1) high velocity varmint rounds, with my .17 rem I can shoot twice as many pasture poodles before accuracy falls off. My swifts shoot noticably longer with moly.
2) service rifles, I can practice on saturday then shoot a match on sunday with out fussing with the rifle.
I would never take an animal for the table using moly.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Used moly in several different calibers and really saw no significant gain or benefit in using it. Messy stuff to work with and tended to get on everything in the reloading room. Never noticed much difference in bore cleaning efforts, either. Went back to regular copper bullets and am perfectly happy for doing so.

If you think cleaning a copper fouled barrel is tough, wait 'til you try to de-moly a cured barrel - Holy Moley!

·
Banned
13 Posts
I have no experience with .17 Cal

I have heard the 17 cal brings a mix of unique challenges and benifits maybe Moly has an application. My experience
is with kdub, incidently there is a raft of new finishes discussed on many of the bullet web pages ....they swear
that their new product is not "Moly" ....Moly has fallen
from favour. I will wait till I can see a measureable benifit.
Guys it is not easy to get that stuff out of your barrel.
I cannot see how it is going to give you faster loads since
after 10 or 12 rounds it drops your pressure and you have to increase your load to get back to scratch. We are all
tryng to help each other here moly has become an "don't
ask his religion" kind of subject. Wonder why? The one thing
that some guys come up with is they say it is not "that Hard " to clean----but cleaning is supposed to be its advantage.
It does look sexier .... but remember what mom said about those city girls.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I've tried moly and like it.

I've used moly powder and the Ms. Moly spray. Ms. Moly is easier to deal with.

Prepping the barrel is necessary. Get it clean and dry, warm the bore, and pass some moly solaked patches through it. Be careful not to get any in the chamber. I used a wooden dowel built up with masking tape in a an empty case to protect the chamber and throat.

I'm happiest with the spray on the bullets. I wash the bullets in solvent to remove any oil, stand 'em on their nose in a block and spray the bearing surfaces. When assembled, very little moly is visible above the case mouth.

Yes, pressures drop a bit.

The greatest advantage is that lots of rounds can be put through the barrel between cleanings. Dog shooters love the stuff. But it's a hassle. I don't bother with moly for most applications.

Moly is not a protectant; you must clean and oil the barrel.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to stick to the copper bullets for now. Just shot a 5 shot group of 0.557 inches with 30gr Berger bullets at 200yds. Don't want to mess with it right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts