Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best Mule Deer hunting Montana these days ??? What's the hunting like in the Charles M. Russell area ??? Thanks, HD1

·
Registered
601 Posts
Got a nice 4X5 muley this year, a nice 4X4 last year, and the biggest by far was a 3X3 I got the year before. I'll just say it's in the Montana rockies! CMR is OK but I've not seen many big bucks there. If you're hunting for meat you'll have plenty of success though and you can occasionally find a bruiser.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The Winnett area is nice, lots of public land and private block management access (free access to private land) The CMR is nice, but it closes around the middle of November, where the rest of the state is open until the end of November. Its perfect if you spend the week surrounding November 9th there.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I haven't hunted around Great Falls at all, north of there is grain country and there are a lot of big bucks in that area, if you can get access.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where in Montana is the best place to hunt Whitetail, Muley and Pronghorn on the same hunt ??? I have been looking in the Glendive area, what do you think ??? I am looking to move to Montana and where I decide to settle will depend somewhat on the hunting available there. Any Ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Maybe Dillon................??? HD1

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Glendive is a nice area to hunt, thats where I hunt. There isn't much public land around there, but there is some block management areas.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info mattsbox99 !!! I "AM" going to move to Montana, but I'll still have to figure out exactly where. I'd like to buy a couple hundred acres (At least) to raise my son and some deer as well. I visited Montana some years ago and have never been quite the same. This West Virginia Hillbilly needs to "Go West Young Man", and I will......SOON!!!!!! HD1

·
Registered
43 Posts
HDI... I would look at the Wiseriver, Wisdom country. They have every thing you want. White tail Mulleys Elk and Proghorn. Also I heard they have a Sheep Hunt. Not sure if it is Idaho or Montana for the sheep hunt though......Tray

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info TRAY !!! I'll check out my maps and see if there is anything about it on the net. Have you ever done any hunting around the Dillon area ? I was there for their end-of-season rodeo once and saw lots of deer !!! HD1

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't personaly. My wife spent about 25 years in the area,On a big ranch at Dell & Glen. I hauled logs from the area to salmon Id. in the late 60's early 70's. We were there last spring and saw lots of game.......tray

·
Registered
601 Posts
Where in Montana is the best place to hunt Whitetail, Muley and Pronghorn on the same hunt ??? I have been looking in the Glendive area, what do you think ??? I am looking to move to Montana and where I decide to settle will depend somewhat on the hunting available there. Any Ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Maybe Dillon................??? HD1
I grew up in Fort Peck. Good whitetail, muley and pronghorn hunting. Even an occasional elk or bighorn if you can draw a coveted permit. Problem is that there aren't many jobs. Very few people either. But most of the state east of the rockies would have what you want within a short drive. And they all have nice people. Good luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
By the way, Dillon and Glendive look a LOT different. If you want trees, you will need to stay near the rockies or live in a river bottom. If you like badlands and wide open spaces, Glendive will be great.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Big rivers and lakes are better in the East, and primo trout streams and high mountain lakes are in the West.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually Myt-bird, I have my heart set on the Glasgow area. Land is still relatively inexpensive and available in semi-large parcels. I like the Milk river area for deer and like to fish so being near the reservoir is very important. I don't need employment, so that isn't a factor in my decision. Just a nice place to raise my eleven year old son. HD1

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Make sure you've got a good walleye boat, you'll be using it on the big lake! If I get the job I applied for up there we'll have to go fishing, I love Ft. Peck (I lived in Wolf Point for a few years).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got a good boat (16' Invader Fish n Ski) already Mattsbox99. I've used it on Lake Erie for Walleye and Steelhead. I'll be bringing it with me !!! I'll be needing a new hunting/fishing buddy when I arrive, so I'll sign you right up. I've read alot about Ft. Peck Res., sounds like a great Walleye/Smallmouth fishery. I've also read about Nelson Res. for pike. I love to catch big pike also !!!!! Yep, I plan to make the move ASAP!!! I'll let you know when I arrive. HD1

·
Registered
601 Posts
Fort Peck is a great little town. Unfortunately your son would have to ride a bus to Glasgow or Nashua daily. Good luck with your move. I'd live there if I didn't have to make a living.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts