Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got a tc scout 54 cal bp pistol. any input on bushnell trophy handgun scope also black mag powder . if i ever get drawn in moose lottery in n.h. this is the gun i would like to use with mmp sabots ===xtp 300 grain bullet ===90 grains powder? what do you think?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think you'd better hang on with both hands. ;)

That's an interesting proposition. I wonder what velocity you'll be getting with that load. It's going to be a short range proposition anyway. How far are you planning to shoot game?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boom

Gonna try to get sighted in for 50 yards max.
I had a scout years ago and it"s a two hander for sure.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Largeman - If the 50 yard sight-in is also going to be at or near your maximum range for firing at a moose, I'd consider using a heavier conical with a flat meplat. But your 300 grain bullet will probably get the job done. A few years ago I watched a fella shoot a very large bull with a .58 round ball at 25 yards. The quartering in shot in the chest just hammered the bull, which staggered to the side about 20 feet, staggered back, and then went down. Entry wound looked like a nickel had passed through on it's side. No exit. I was impressed. Good luck with the permit, that'll be the hard part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
moose round balls

THIS GUN IS FINICKY AS TO WHAT IT SHOOTS.
I'M GOING TO TRY EVERY COMBO THAT I CAN
QUICK QUESTION---WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY
TO LUBE PATCHES? I have bore butter, should i
just rub each patch or is there an easier way to
do it bulk?

·
Banned
126 Posts
What temps are you going to be shooting in? NH temps usually are pretty cold this time of year, isn't it?

For below freezing weather, I would use mink oil. You could heat it in a pan and them drop in your patches, remove them onto some wax paper and squeeze the excess when cool if you wantto do it in bulk.

Most of the T/C's I know are 1:48 twist, so I would think Maxi-balls would work if you want to use conicle bullets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd just rub the patches w/ bore butter. It's easy to find in alot of stores, versus the more exotic formulas. It never bothered me in freezing temps.

Flintlock62...maybe it's "m i i c e"; but I wasn't too good at school.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Is a BP pistol legal for moose in Maaine? Just curious, 'cause I don't know. Certainly a decent load at close range would do the job -- and roundball wouldn't be completely out of the question at all. It would sure make controlling the recoil easier.

·
Banned
126 Posts
One moose, or a herd of moose. One deer, a herd of deer. Plurals are just plain weird in English.
I'd just rub the patches w/ bore butter. It's easy to find in alot of stores, versus the more exotic formulas. It never bothered me in freezing temps.

Flintlock62...maybe it's "m i i c e"; but I wasn't too good at school.
The next thing I know is that I'll have to explain to some yankee whether grits is singular or plural.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The .54 scout pistol has a 1-20 twist. It should shoot a sabot or conical. The bullets I would personally consider since your hunting moose (that one or more then one moose...:D ) would be a 300 grain Barnes MZ Expander, Nosler Partition, or if you shoot the XTP, shoot the XTP magnum. There are also other bullets you could try like the Gold Dot HP . The Mag XTPs are bonded to the copper and hold up better on thick skinned animals. Personally I would be shooting the Barnes. Do a major organ shot like the heart or lungs and then hope the moose does not stomp you before it dies.

If your going to shoot roundball, a good patch lube is olive oil, mink oil, moose milk, or bore butter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
pisgah - Your BP pistol will be legal in Maine, but there may be a minimum caliber restriction of .45 or .50

Flintlock...you mean when I send my wife for sandpaper I should tell her to get 60 grits paper? Also, isn't "yankee" just an abbreviation for the term "d***ed yankee".
Anyways, come up and visit sometime, I've got friends from Alabama that were amazed how nice it is in Maine once you get clear of all the bulls**t states to the SW of us.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't wait

Friday it's supposed to be in the 40's - I have some maxi balls, 430 gr that I'm going to try. I haven't got a scope for it yet. So iron sights will have to do for now. I think I'll bring my nephew to shoot it first - he is my crash test dummy. I know it's gonna kick like a baaastard!!!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
IMO your wasting your powder, and just taking a lot of beating if you use more then 70 grains of powder in that thing. With that short barrel, I doubt you will burn even 70 grains, but in my friends Traditions pistol 70 grains is a max load. With a good sabot or conical at 50 yards, you should still have the power to kill a moose if you place that projectile.

With 90 grains of powder out of a rifle the 430 grain maxiball gets 1263 fps and 1541 ft lbs of energy. I normally deer hunt with 70 grains of powder and a 460 grain conical and know it will take out any deer.

I read a post of one person that shot a moose with a .54 roundball and 90 grains of powder out of a Renegade. The amazing thing is he shot the moose at over 150 yards. The ball still entered, penetrated and lodged in the heart of the moose resulting in the animals death.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jJust got some Black Mag powder. I think you're right on 70 grains. I also have some180 gr 44 cal xtp's that i got from hornady on a rebate program.Not a good moose bullet but still should be fun to shoot. How about that black mag powder--anybody out there use it?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
[I have bore butter, should i just rub each patch or is there an easier way to do it bulk?]

Pop the BoreButter into the microwave for a half-minute, or so, on "high".

The BB will liquefy, allowing you to pour it into a panful of patches.

Withdraw the single patches while the BB is still liquid - I leave mine on a cookie sheet, so I can retrieve any excess BB later, after it's solidified again when it cools.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have shot Blackmag3 and it was a good powder. Just impossible to get around me. Then when they teamed up with another company,Magkor it was just not out there. They must have realized their distribution mistake as more and more posters are talking about it again.

It is a little more powerful then Pyrodex Rs and very clean burning. So your testing should be very interesting. I shot those 180 grain XTPs and never got any accuracy out of them. So your testing should be interesting. But when you run up against a moose with that thing, it will be something to see. I hope you can tape your "hunt" and post it.

·
Banned
126 Posts
[I have bore butter, should i just rub each patch or is there an easier way to do it bulk?]

Pop the BoreButter into the microwave for a half-minute, or so, on "high".

The BB will liquefy, allowing you to pour it into a panful of patches.

Withdraw the single patches while the BB is still liquid - I leave mine on a cookie sheet, so I can retrieve any excess BB later, after it's solidified again when it cools.

If it is going to be below freezing, you are going to have a tough time seating PRB's with Bore Butter. For freezing temps., I would use Mink oil soaked patches, they will be a little stiff, but not like BB. I'm not sure about Balloistol, it's great stuff, but I have never used it in cold weather.

Place your BB or Mink oil in a pan heat it on med. low heat on the stove, drop in your patches and let them soak a little. Remove them onto a piece of wax paper and cool. After they are cool, stack them at about 10 or so thick, and squeeze the excess out of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ba-BOOM!

We tried 180 grain XTPs from 30 yards. just when we started to get a group, it got dark...
60 grains, very managable recoil. Wouldn't want to feel 90 grains.
Can't wait to get the scope.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts