Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shawlerbrook,the story of my moose hunt.
My partner and I left my place in the middle of September and drove for 2 days to get to our destination in northern BC to hunt for a big moose.We have moose where I live but not like the big ones close to the Yukon border.
We hunted from my 18 ft. jon boat and returned to our wall tent each evening at dark.There were a lot of predators in the area.Grizzly,black bears,many wolves and lynx.
In the morning we would head up or down river looking for fresh sign and do some calling.Pull in and go for a walk then try another spot.The country we hunted was fairly flat in the river bottom with thick willows along the rivers edge.There were lots of sand and gravel bars.Not unusual for a gravel bar to be a mile long.There were also some small islands and a few swamps and estuaries.Perfect moose county and also a few elk around.
Every day we would see many fresh wolf tracks,often over top of our tracks.We never saw any wolves thou.I expected we might call in some wolves while calling moose.Lynx would appear occationally.We did find a bear den.
Several days passed without even seeing a moose.There were fresh tracks but they were made during the night.Lots of geese and ducks.
One day We were heading up river and I pull in to this long gravel bar and secure the boat buy throwing my homemade anchor in the mud.The wind was coming down the river softly.The conditions were perfect.A heavy frost during the night.Glassing the shore lines and gravel bar I locate 3 moose up at the far end of the gravel bar just standing there in the sun coming up.They looked like little specs.One was a big bull with 2 cows.
My friend says"go for it".There was no cover to sneak up on the moose.If I went up on the river bank I would have to fight my way through the willows and poplar it was so thick.I crouched down and started walking slowly toward the moose in a small depression near the bank.Eventually the depression, a shallow dry creek bed petered out.From here on I crawled on my belly like a reptile trying to line myself up with an old sweeper or stump hung up in the gravel bar for cover.
It must have been crawlling for over half an hour then the moose laid down.F'n A.This made it easier for me as they would not be able to see me in the open as easily.Crawling along on my belly with my rifle cradled in my arms I got closer and closer.
I could see an old stump stuck in the gravel ahead of me.That would be my last cover between me and the moose.I would be close enough at this point to shoot.Then one of the cows stands up and is looking around.I just lay there and watch.When she would look away I would inch my way closer until I finally get behind the stump where I could relax a bit.I dig my range finder out of my fanny pack.258 yards.I look back down the river to the boat.My partner is nowhere to be seen.
Then the other cow stands up.The wind is still in my favour.Shortly the bull stands but I can't shoot as he is behind the cows.They are looking across the river.I'm thinking they are going to swim the river as one of the cows starts walking.Then the other cow.She stops beside the bull.Still no shot presented.I wait behind the stump with my pipe resting on a root ready for my shot.Finally the cow moves ahead so the bull is in the clear.
The bull is quartering away from me.I take careful aim behind the shoulder.Kawam, the bull faulters but dosen't go completely down.This surprised me.I jack another round like fluid motion into the chamber.I can see the blood leaking from his side.He turns a bit towards me as he tries to keep up with the cows.I put another bullet in his shoulder and he drops on the spot.The cows don't know what is going on but take off galloping past me down the gravel bar towards the boat.
Pretty cool,action!I walk over to the moose.He is in a good spot to deal with gutting and quartering.
I walked back to bring the boat up to the moose.It took us all day to deal with the moose and get him in the boat.We arrived back at camp just at dark. In all hanging in the butcher shop,660lbs. of meat.........Here are a pictures of our hunt.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,829 Posts
Awesome. I am green with envy.

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

RJ

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congratulations! When I lived in Alaska I floated several rivers for moose, only connected once but your story brings back the memories, thanks. But this is a wildcat forum, how about some details on your rifle and load?

·
The Shadow
7,597 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great read, thanks for that.
Certainly validates the wildcat. 660 pounds is a bunch of dinners.
Ron

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,998 Posts
Brings back memories of a fly-in moose hunt in Canada in 1968 with my FIL and another guy. Got my bull the first morning floating down the river in a canoe with guide and FIL aboard. The bull went down right by the shore line. Never felt more inadequate than when looking at the mature bull laying there and the puny little bladed hunting knife in my hand. Asked Nick, the guide where to start and he replied "He((, it doesn't matter, just grab hair and start cutting!"
;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
great hunt thanks for take'n me along

1 - 9 of 9 Posts