Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOw bout the 444 for Moose? It would seem to me that with a good WFN type bullet in the 300 gr range at 2000 fps it should be lights out. Haven't hunted one yet but planning to in the next couple of years.

Any suggestions as to where one should plan such a hunt?

Thanks

Bill

·
Banned
27 Posts
Our European Moose is about your elk size. Thousands of them are shot every year with 6.5x55 in Sweden, so I guess that you'll be even better off with .444 Marlin.

Roman

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have only read about moose hunting. What I read was that they are not as tough as elk to knock off their feet even though they are much bigger. I think your round is fine for elk so it should work on moose. I know of some folks that have shot moose for years and they use 06's. Hope you get the chance to go one day. =FLASH=

·
Banned
556 Posts
A good friend tipped a large swamp donkey last year with a triple 4. That was the easy part...

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have never shot a moose myself. I have an uncle that has and one of my hunting buddies killed one.

Moose are not a tough animal, they are just stupid. In the case of my uncles moose (950 lbs) the first shot (broadside) went through the lungs, the second shot as the moose tried to leave the area went in behind the ribs and angled up through the chest (I am pretty sure he hit lung on this one as well). The third shot was taken to put the critter down and broke the rear hip.

Clearly the moose was dead after the first shot but nobody had told HIM that. BTW, this was with a .270

The one my buddie shot he hit with a home made Maxi-Ball from a Muzzleloader. He said the moose just stood there. Then he sort of snorted and blew blood out of his nose and mouth. He did this a couple of times then he finally dropped.

Moose are not bullet proof, they are just dumb. They are also big with a lot of oxygen circulating in there body at anytime. Again, I have never shot a moose but from stories like the above I think this is one animal that you need to break down where he is standing. Take out his front shoulders so he can't run off on you. Sean

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I've had many reports of our customers using the Triple-Four on moose, with stellar reports. I haven't done it myself, but having drawn an Idaho moose permit, and season having opened today, I may have a report soon. Although I plan on tipping mine with a traditional muzzle-loader, if I don't bag one in the first four or five days of the rut, I'll be packing my trusty .444 for the remainder of the hunt. I have no doubts of it's capabilities to knock off a moose.... from any angle with the right bullet.

Goin' huntin' soon!

God Bless,

·
Banned
27 Posts
LoneEagle,

Maybe moose on your side of the ocean are dumb - I don't know, never hunted them there. But I can't say the same thing about European variety. I hunt them for years (I start new season on Monday by the way).

They can be incredibly cunning, if you ask me and I've seen plenty of examples of moose actually sneaking around hunter without making any noise.

Hunt them for some time and then we can compare notes.

Roman

·
Banned
169 Posts
Roman,
My contention of them being stupid had more to do with them being dead on their feet but being to "dumb" to know it. You know like "he was dead, he just hadn't read the book yet"

Still any animal that charges trains and tractor trailers can't be the brightest critter. Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts