Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more 296 thoughts...

so ive tried some 296 in my hornet... im looking for a load to shoot my common 55 gr bullets.

im lookin for 2100 fps, and accuracy....

11grains of 296 is waaaayyy too much.... ive tried it.

i use 296 for other stuff..... so i want to keep using this powder if i can.... i like to keep my materials list to a minimum...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh so heres a little more info....

its an old single shot h/r.... not pretty, not intended to be super accurate... just something to shoot woodchucks, and rabbits with.
like to see it shoot out to 100 yds but not really more..
looking for a reliable load, that will be consistant with bullets i currently have for loading in my 223 rifles, and the 296 powder that i already have for my cassull..

i tried a 55 gr kor lokt from remington with 11.5 gr of 296 the other day, and blew primers out of the shells, also fire formed a couple to the extractor and all stuck...

this was scarry and dangerous.. the brass was old, but only once fired.

thats what ive got for info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looking at the data from the Hodgdon site, your probably going to have to either drop the bullet weight or pick another powder. Using H-110 or 296 either, the max bullet weight shown is a 53gr bullet with only 9.0gr of H-110 or a 30gr bullet with 12.3gr of 296.

Either way your absolutely right about 11grs being over board.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Imajeep, (Actually, ImaSuburban, but to each his own...)

I like to keep my materials list to a minimum as well: I like to have the powder and bullet that is appropriate for the cartridge being used. :)

Most bullet companies have a "Hornet" bullet or two for the simple fact that many Hornet barrels are made with a 1:16 inch twist. This means they generally only shoot well with lighter/shorter bullets. If I were you, I would avoid all the headaches you're going through, trying to "simplify" your materials, and get what will actually give good results, in your gun. I would suggest the Nosler 40gr BT or the Sierra 45gr Hornet. Both will be capable of better accuracy and velocity, giving you the 100 yards of effective range you're looking for.

I hate to introduce even more variables, but I think you'd also get a little more out of the Hornet, with less effort, by going with Hodgdon's Li'l gun powder and charges between 10 and 11.5gr, with the two bullets mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
more 296 thoughts...

so ive tried some 296 in my hornet... im looking for a load to shoot my common 55 gr bullets.

im lookin for 2100 fps, and accuracy....

11grains of 296 is waaaayyy too much.... ive tried it.

i use 296 for other stuff..... so i want to keep using this powder if i can.... i like to keep my materials list to a minimum...
First your rifle should have a twist rate of 1-in-14" twist to stabolize your 55 grainers. At 2,100 FPS a slow 16" twist won't stabolize 55 grainers especially if they are bolt tail bullets. The best powders I've found for the .22 Hornet are: WW-680 (No longer available), WW-296, H-110, and IMR-4227. There are other powders out there that are also suitable. For a light load I use 7.0 grains of SR-4759 with a 50 grain spitzer, loaded up in a Remington case. My rifle has a 14" twist which will stabolize this load which is a good non-destructive smalll game load.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Economy is good, but you can't fix everything with a pair of pliers.

Worse, I view W296 as a niche powder, not a general-purpose one. Couple that with bullets that are simply too heavy for the Hornet and you are pretty much doomed to disaster or disappointment.

There are many good Hornet loads, as a search here will show you.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Sierra 40 or 45 grain Hornet bullets and Lil Gun powder. Best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Another variable (sorry)--try some small PISTOL primers for the Hornet.

As mentioned the 45 gr Sierra Hornet bullet w/ Lil guna dn pistol primers and you got a shooter. Just case neck size and chamfer a little to prevent crushed cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts