Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
fred243,

To the best of my knowledge, the Postal Inspectors and Postal Police are armed with the Glock M17 and M19 9mm pistols. I was the Firearms Coordinator (Instructor) for the 100 Inspectors and 280 Postal Police Officers in my field division for 10 years. Twice a year all qualified with their pistols and the 12 gauge shotgun. In the early 1990s we got in a dozen H&K MP-5 9mm submachine guns.

Do the math: Each agent/PPO fired 100 rounds per cycle twice a year of 9mm and 15 shotgun shells per cycle twice a year. There were a limited number of people qualified on the MP-5 and they used about 200 rounds per agent annually. We allowed a 10% increase on needed ammo to cover practice and remedial training.

Hope this answers your question.

Webley

·
Registered
968 Posts
re:there's a war on for your mind

I just hope none of this ammo and the magazines are sitting around unsecured where an invading army from tunnels underground could easily take it.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just hope none of this ammo and the magazines are sitting around unsecured where an invading army from tunnels underground could easily take it.

You mean the secured level like the countries that we give weapons to and then find them in the bad guy's camps?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I didn't know agencies could buy things for other agencies? Seem like that is against appropriations law and is an example of the executive branch ignoring how congress said the money must be spent. Anyway, it seems if they are buying it for someone else that in itself would be illegal unless congress specifically said in the appropriation the funds could be used for that purpose. With that said, I'm not sure how much appropriated money the USPS gets or even if they have to go by appropriations and procurement law.
I'm sorry Riflefan. I use so much sarcasm in my posts sometimes I risk being unclear. I never implied it would be legal. ((:)D)))

But then, what does legality have to do with anything in government these days?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm sorry Riflefan. I use so much sarcasm in my posts sometimes I risk being unclear. I never implied it would be legal. ((:)D)))

But then, what does legality have to do with anything in government these days?
That is the truth, Stretch. The law just doesn't matter any more unless you are one of the minions such as people like us.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
So, IF TRUE, it's deception, at best, for the order to be attributed to the USPS. IF TRUE, what is the motivation in doing it this way?

This is exactly what I was thinking and wanting to know !! Can't help but wonder if this is a way to hurry up and implement early the lead ammo ban/bans that have been taking place. Now in Cali since it's a new state wide ban on leaded ammo that's to be fully phased in by the middle of 2019, maybe 2019 is too long for the other side. Closing down the lead plant, united state's post office buying 2 billion rounds of ammo for NOBODY, new state laws, etc. No wonder Remington owns Barnes Bullets and started loading them in their line of ammunition last year.

End of the line for the lead bullet? Regulations, bans force switch to 'green' ammo | Fox News

·
Registered
649 Posts
My local post mistress knows every thing that is going on in town. She is a sweet lady. She also supervises a network of carriers that daily canvas the whole area and she is smart as a whip. Plans have been announced to reduce services. I can not conceive of a better agency to gather information on what is going on than the PO. Certainly if the federal LEO's aren't using the PO they are missing a chance.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hmmm. Same 2 billion number, different entity, now. I've seen armed USFS and BLM enforcement officers, and we have armed DHS officers at our airport. The feds are definitely increasingly more armed, but I've never seen an armed USPS officer.

Same 2 billion number. Same 2 billion number.... Let the panic buying resume!
Perhaps it is because they are discrete. Many of us carry without anyone ever knowing.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks Fred, good contribution of interesting articles. Maybe we should quote Pogo, "We've net the enemy, and it's us?"

·
Registered
484 Posts
Maybe it is like all things with the gov. use it or loose it deal & they could find enough white out to buy.:eek::D:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
The majority of the ammo doesn;t have to stay within the ordering agency. It could get "diverted" to another cause, portion by portion. I don;t know. Maybe we need a civilian force that can rival the military. I mean - America needs some new things once in awhile, otherwise, what good is change? I really don;t know, I'm just rambling.....
Cha ching, Lets look into all of the other US federal departments that have purchsed ammo and guns. What did I hear the other night from Craig B Hewitt,
Dept of Education guns and ammo
Dept of Oceanic surveys just bought a 140,000 rounds of handgun ammo.
IRS is buying ammo.
The Federal security forces not including the military out number your local sheriffs department by 3 to one.
A lot of wacky stuff that little or know one in the USA seems remotely concerned about, why? FS

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Something we should remember when concocting a conspiracy about 'The Feds': They are not some separate and removed entity from the rest of us. They live and work in the same towns and cities the rest of us do. They have neighbors and friends, just like the rest of us, whether from DHS, NOAA, IRS, DOE, etc. Suggesting that all of these Federal entities are in cahoots, possibly forming an underground assault force to suppress the rest of 'us' (non-Feds) - their neighbors and friends - is really quite astounding.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I agree Shawn and can attest to the validity of that. The problem is with an administration that conspires to misappropriate ammunition (IF that's what they're doing. This is my theory). No the lower ranks have no hand in this, only appointed heads (administration). The sole reason for having and using the power to appoint departmental heads is that they think like you and will do, willingly, whatever you ask.

I think if there is gross misappropriation of ammo, it would go somewhere stockpiled. And one or more persons (NOT department heads) would have access to it to be distributed when necessary. Additionally, it has the effect of shorting the supply of ammunition so that it's harder and harder for this growing number of firearms owners to get ammo. I mean, the government couldn;t very well explain away some news reporter's story that 6 billion rounds of ammo (for example) is being purchased NOT for use by law enforcement but for stockpiling. So.... buy it for the agencies, take 60% back, and stash it.

Just a thought....

Reactions: fred243

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
I don't disagree Stretch, although I'm not convinced that there is any stockpiling taking place at all. The admin doesn't actually have to stockpile, they only need to create the illusion that it is. After all, who really knows whether 1.6 billion rounds have been ordered, or 6 billion. Those that dig into the details can find the truth, but it doesn't matter, most won't. People see procurement solicitations for all of these different agencies, and they'll grab onto the 6 billion number, creating the hoarding and panic buying.

Why? Well, most - not all - ammo buyers could be placed into a 'conservative' voting tendency, I believe. Create a panic-buying frenzy at elevated prices, and you relieve those people of more of their hard-earned money, which then won't make it into conservative candidate election coffers, or to the likes of the NRA.

Just one more theory to mull over, maybe worse than the others. I rarely give to campaigns anymore, but I do donate to the NRA, because I KNOW that money will go to pro-gun candidates.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I wonder how much of the ammo purchases are to replace the stockpiles of ammo expended, and given to allies, during the wars of the last 50 or 60 years. Either way, should not have much effect on the shortage of .22LR ammo. At the last Denver gun show, 9mm, .45ACP, and .223 ammo was in abundance even though the .22 ammo was scarce and overpriced.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,111 Posts
If government ammo purchasing was the main problem, I don't think that .223 and .308 and 9mm would be plentiful at the gun shows, as it is here (central Texas).

Do consider, though, the profit margin difference between a box of .270 hunting ammo (for example) and a bulk-pack of .22 rimfire. In good times we would expect to pay about the same price. There's almost 3 pounds of lead in a typical 500 count bulk pack (40gr. bullets). The 20 rounds of 130gr. .270 ammo in a typical box are about a third of a pound, although that's both lead and guilding metal, and the .270 bullet requires more forming operations. Probably about the same amount of powder in each. There is almost certainly more priming compound in 500 .22 rounds, but the brass is more complex to form for the .270. Packaging costs probably similar, and the .22 LR will cost more to ship (because it's heavier).

Bottom line, the ammo makers are going to put the low-profit stuff at the end of the production list at least until they get caught up. It doesn't make sense for them to ramp up full production on the lowest profit margin product in times when demand is high.

That's not to say that large government contracts don't directly affect the market as a whole. They do. But there is a logical reason for which production lines to run. Basic economics.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Something we should remember when concocting a conspiracy about 'The Feds': They are not some separate and removed entity from the rest of us. They live and work in the same towns and cities the rest of us do. They have neighbors and friends, just like the rest of us, whether from DHS, NOAA, IRS, DOE, etc. Suggesting that all of these Federal entities are in cahoots, possibly forming an underground assault force to suppress the rest of 'us' (non-Feds) - their neighbors and friends - is really quite astounding.
Well what pray tell do you think they are buying all that ammo for? Why now and not 10 years ago. How is it that all of a sudden the post office needs all of this ammo.
Why has the military bought 3 million rounds of 7.62x39 and another report of the 180K in 7.62 mags. These are facts not something I have made up. I'm from Canada and deeply concerned about these issues, I find it odd so few Americans do. G

·
Registered
649 Posts
All thee store people I talk to tell me it comes in, they put it out and people buy it right then. They put out what they get and get it regularly. WE are buying up all the ammo. We are the ones that know and talk about this. Most people I talk to are unaware that there gunowning friends are not only not considering getting rid of their guns but instead are stockpiling guns and ammo. They claim the majority does not want guns while the majority buys every gun and all the ammo they can. This scares the **** out of them cause it is proof that there is a large and active movement that ain't gonna to vote for them. Keep buying those bullets and keep shooting and buying guns. Everybody has always needed at least a few thousand rounds on hand. It is good for the economy, good for our self image and good for the whole country for us to take care of ourselves by stockpiling things that go bang, and it really disturbs those who need to be disturbed.

Reactions: StretchNM
21 - 40 of 75 Posts