Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally scoped my new 336CS. It couldn;t be like my 1894, with see-through rings resulting in a completely alien cheek weld. For me, that was not even an option. So, with a Weaver 1-piece base, Burris low mount rings, and an old Weaver K4 scope, I boresighted it and took it out to a little nook that I like in the hills.

I like this rifle!!

I don;t like the finish Marlin puts on the stock, but some nice walnut can be seen trying to squeeze out of that plasticky finish.....

That little Weaver 4x32 is just barely enough scope for me to keep the crosshairs on the bullseye at 75+ yards, but I think it would be fine for boar-sized game and larger.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Hornady FTX bullets shoot fantastic! Even with just iron sights, I could put them in about a 1.5" to 2" group at 75+ yards. But with the scope, things are a tad better.....

I would like to call the two rounds on the left "flyers", leaving me about a .5" group, but I can't :(

Now this one on the upper left IS a flyer, so I'll call this a .6" group! (:)D)) (There are five rounds in that group there)

I finally found some 200gr roundnose bullets - Hornady Interlocks. Between AA2520 and IMR4064, so far the IMR wins out....
Again, that's 5 rounds in that target and, again, the upper left I'm calling a flyer!

Of all the rifles I've bought this year and in years past, I can;t recall one I like to shoot more than this .35 Remington. I'm hooked and already want another one in the same caliber!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Sure puts some mighty big holes in the target, huh?? :D

Are you shooting from a standing position over the sandbags on your hood? That might explain an occasional flier.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Broom, standing with elbows on the hood, kind of leaning in with my left knee bent and against the tire. Comfortable though! I'm thinking either the FTX's or the round nose ought to make any ferral hogs out to a hundred yards squeal with envy!

How would the standing position account for a flyer I'm wondering?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Great caliber and great gun.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Yeah, Broom, standing with elbows on the hood, kind of leaning in with my left knee bent and against the tire. Comfortable though! I'm thinking either the FTX's or the round nose ought to make any ferral hogs out to a hundred yards squeal with envy!

How would the standing position account for a flyer I'm wondering?
Well, as stable and comfortable as it feels shooting off the bags on the hood of your truck, it's not exactly a concrete shooting bench. If you can contrive a way to shoot prone, that alone might eliminate the flier, as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, as stable and comfortable as it feels shooting off the bags on the hood of your truck, it's not exactly a concrete shooting bench.
How about stable shooting platforms in the field while hunting, does anyone ever use a Whelen sling or other shooting style sling? How about crossed stick, has anyone ever used those?

Spence

·
Banned
502 Posts
Nice looking rifle, it is very versitile.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
How about stable shooting platforms in the field while hunting, does anyone ever use a Whelen sling or other shooting style sling? How about crossed stick, has anyone ever used those?

Spence
Come on, man! These guy have hundreds of years combined shooting experience. You ask questions as if they were rank beginners. "Has anyone ever used a sling?" Where do you think you are, in kindergarten?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
What's a sling? How do you cross sticks? That sounds complicated! I read in my rifle's manual that you must shoot it either from a concrete bench, or from sandbags on the hood of a Ford pickup...Chevy's are expressly forbidden!

I remember this one time (at band camp?) I sat on the ground and put my elbows on my knees and tried to shoot my rifle...and it flat refused! A little flag popped out the end of the barrel that read, "THIS IS NOT A SHOOTING BENCH!", so I stopped using any of the traditional field positions.

Spence, all kidding aside, of course we shoot our guns from more that just benches or sandbags, but don't you take the most stable position possible while evaluating new hand loads? I mean, I practice off-hand quite a bit, but I'm not going to take untried loads and test them from that position. I'm going to put my Lead Sled on a stable bench and do my best to eliminate the position, or my wibbles n' wobbles, so I know what the LOAD is capable of, in my gun.

Also, when you're hunting, don't you always try to find some kind of rest or do you insist on shooting at game from less stable positions? I've only harvested ~25 big-game animals, which is child's play, compared to what a bunch of guys on here have managed, but I'd be willing to bet you breakfast at Denny's that 90% of the game taken by our esteemed colleagues has been from some kind of improvised, or planned, rest.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Nice rifle. My 1972 336 35 Remington is partial to IMR-4064 also.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
Never have used crossed sticks or a shooting sling in the field with any of my Marlins.... would be interested in how a sling changes point of impact, if it does, with a lever gun?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Come on, man! These guy have hundreds of years combined shooting experience. You ask questions as if they were rank beginners. "Has anyone ever used a sling?" Where do you think you are, in kindergarten?

Well, JBledsoe, if anyone is in kindergarten I'm your man, and it is I who is the rank beginner. It has been 30+ year since I shot smokeless guns of any type, and I've never used them for big game. I've never fired a single shot from a big bore levergun. I've killed my share of deer of various sorts, but all with black powder weapons.

Back when I was shooting smokeless, hunting groundhogs with a Sako .222 Remington or a Weatherby .25-06 and reloading for both, slings were on every rifle and all the shooters I knew used them as shooting aids, not just as carry straps. That seems not to be true in my area, now. None are for sale in the gun shops here, only stupid looking paramilitary camouflage elastic carry straps. So, in my area at least, it seems shooting slings, Whelens, M1907 and the like, are something the younger crop of shooters knows nothing about. I expect they prop their guns on the padded rim of their elevate houses they call tree stands.

In trying to outfit my Marlin 336 for shooting whitetails I'm having a steep learning curve, and I was looking for information about how all these experienced shooters you are so proud of are using theirs, today. I thought this might be the place get some help, but I apparently phrased my question wrong.

We all know the old saw about there being no such thing as a dumb question, but there certainly are dumb answers.

Spence

·
Registered
136 Posts
What's a sling? How do you cross sticks? That sounds complicated! I read in my rifle's manual that you must shoot it either from a concrete bench, or from sandbags on the hood of a Ford pickup...Chevy's are expressly forbidden!
Funny ha ha.

While everyone is having so much fun poking fun at the newby, everybody forgot to answer the question. If they had read it carefully they would have seen that he didn't ask if anyone *had* used a sling, but if anyone *does* use a sling.

I'll try again... I'm a 76-year old experienced hunter using smokeless, big bore leverguns for the first time for hunting whitetail deer. I always hunt on the ground, sitting on my weary old rump at the base of a tree, waiting for the deer to come to me. I never move while hunting. I therefore can never find a convenient tree, log, rock or whatever to rest my gun on. I fully understand the efficacy of such rests, but they are not, never will be, part of my hunting situation. Shooting a scoped rifle at deer at a distance is more than I can manage offhand, so I need some help. The only two things i could think of were a sling or crossed sticks. I'm very familiar with slings, have used them a lot, but when I went looking for one for my 336, I couldn't find one. Gun shops don't have them here, none of the clerks or shooters I could talk to even understand how a shooting sling works. So, I wondered if some cool young dude had figured out a better way. Viola, searching for info online, up pops the Latigo sling by Brownells at a cool $100. Must be miraculous what that thing can do. But my gun shops can't tell me what it does, how it works its miracle. So, I call Brownells, and they tell me its a hasty sling. A $100 hasty sling.

Well, that's no solution, but there must be someplace where info about this problem is available... how about Shooters Forum?

Whether or not that works out is still to be discovered.

Spence

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Funny ha ha.

While everyone is having so much fun poking fun at the newby, everybody forgot to answer the question. If they had read it carefully they would have seen that he didn't ask if anyone *had* used a sling, but if anyone *does* use a sling.

I'll try again... I'm a 76-year old experienced hunter using smokeless, big bore leverguns for the first time for hunting whitetail deer. I always hunt on the ground, sitting on my weary old rump at the base of a tree, waiting for the deer to come to me. I never move while hunting. I therefore can never find a convenient tree, log, rock or whatever to rest my gun on. I fully understand the efficacy of such rests, but they are not, never will be, part of my hunting situation. Shooting a scoped rifle at deer at a distance is more than I can manage offhand, so I need some help. The only two things i could think of were a sling or crossed sticks. I'm very familiar with slings, have used them a lot, but when I went looking for one for my 336, I couldn't find one. Gun shops don't have them here, none of the clerks or shooters I could talk to even understand how a shooting sling works. So, I wondered if some cool young dude had figured out a better way. Viola, searching for info online, up pops the Latigo sling by Brownells at a cool $100. Must be miraculous what that thing can do. But my gun shops can't tell me what it does, how it works its miracle. So, I call Brownells, and they tell me its a hasty sling. A $100 hasty sling.

Well, that's no solution, but there must be someplace where info about this problem is available... how about Shooters Forum?

Whether or not that works out is still to be discovered.

Spence
Spence,

Thanks for being good-natured and please, forgive me for apparently misunderstanding the question you posed. Your original question read as an accusation, or maybe I've become too quick to see something genuine as a snide comment...again, I apologize.

Also, being roughly half as "seasoned" as you are, I must confess: I don't use a sling for anything more than a convenient means of conveyance for my rifle. In fact, I often hunt without any kind of sling at all on my guns, transporting and elevating them (in a treestand) by use of a soft-sided carrying case. With certain climbing-type tree stands, I will ascend to the desired height, pull up the gun case with a rope, and lay the fully unzipped case across the stand in front of me, held there by the arms of the climbing stand. The gun leaves the case only when it is fired.

However, I often sit in ground blinds or, as you stated, on my tired old butt, waiting for my intended quarry to happen by. In fact, I much enjoy hunting this way, as it requires more of the hunter and thus, is more satisfying when one is successful. Still, I must refute your assertion that while hunting at ground level, "I therefore can never find a convenient tree, log, rock or whatever to rest my gun on...". I find this notion disingenuous, as when I select an area to hunt, sans any type of man-made contrivance, I purposely use the natural cover and structure of my hunting grounds to provide a good improvised rest, should a shot present itself.

Case in point is one of my favorite memories of a hunting camp in Wisconsin. A truly giant old oak tree fell about 80 yards into the front 40 acres of the property, within sight of a corn field that had been harvested only 8-10 days earlier. The landowner had gone in and trimmed must of the crown of the tree off, for firewood, leaving several sturdy arms poking out. Seeing this as a perfect opportunity, I sat a little stool in the crown of that fallen tree and used two or three small branches, with leaves still clinging, to screen my impromptu little blind. The ends of the cut-off limbs made for an excellent shooting rest, on either side. I harvested a decent 7-point buck and a doe, using that blind, in 3 days of hunting.

I even taught my daughter the same concept this fall, when she took her first deer. When a mature doe stepped out into the field in front of her, at ~70 yards, my little girl placed her left hand firmly against the small tree in front of her, the barrel clasped between thumb and forefinger. This improvised rest allowed her to make a lethal shot, using open sights and the old 44/40 Model '92 Winchester did its job.

So, to more politely answer your original question: I recognize the value of a shooting sling, but I have rarely hunted where I might benefit by the use of one. Even when hunting on the ground, it has always made sense to me, to make use of the surrounding terrain to both conceal my position and afford an improvised rest.

I hope you will forgive my earlier sarcasm and continue to enjoy our little forum.

Jason

·
Banned
502 Posts
My use of Slings? Almost every rifle and most of my shotguns have slings, some for target shooting, some for an easier carry for me.

My Marlin 336 in 35 Remy has a sling so that I can keep the rifle steady if I have to shoot from a standing position. It helps me when I am hiking thru the hills so I can carry it on my shoulder, cradling an untethered rifle several miles thru the brush can be tiring on my arms. So the sling on that rifle does two functions for me.

Jerry

·
Registered
136 Posts
I find this notion disingenuous, as when I select an area to hunt, sans any type of man-made contrivance, I purposely use the natural cover and structure of my hunting grounds to provide a good improvised rest, should a shot present itself.

Jason
I guess my deer just aren't as cooperative as yours. No matter which direction I set up to shoot, they always seem to walk in behind me.

I've killed probably 50 deer in my hunting area over the last 20 years, all at distances between 15 feet and 65 yards. I think I can fairly say I understand the problem I'm trying to solve.

Spence

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm still curious as to whether any 336 shooters have ever used crossed sticks. I'd be amazed if they have. They are commonly used for certain kinds of long distance shooting by black powder shooters. I've seen them used and can attest to the accuracy possible with them, but have never used them myself. I've made a pair, though, and will find out if they will work for me. One advantage they have over most any other type of rest is that they can be moved to suit the situation, sort of like having a bipod on your rifle.

I looked at some of my rimfire rifles from the old days and found both a Whelen sling and a M1907-type sling, so I'll be able to find out if that option is still viable after all the years. I'll bet it will be, if I can crank my rickety, stiff old bones into the proper position. As I remember, they didn't work unless you were in pain even when I was a limber youngster, and that should be easier to arrange, now. :p

BTW, how does one get permission to use attachments? I presume that's the way pictures such as those in this thread are published?

Spence

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
You should be able to post attachments now, there is a minimum number of posts which you are just now over. If you've been a member more than 10 days I think you are good to go.

Make sure they are under 100K, each.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts