Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this elsewhere today: I spoke with a real-live game warden today about two issues I have wondered about.
First, if you’re a hunter you are probably aware of the federal 3-shell limit for a shotgun that was imposed with the early migratory bird regulations. Over... the years most states have included this in their regulations concerning any game bird hunting. By and large, rabbit, squirrels and so on have been exempt from this limitation. Now I notice that if you are hunting deer and bear in California with a shotgun firing slugs or buck, you must comply with this rule. What gives? If you can use a rifle with a ten-round mag, why not a shotgun with slugs holding ten rounds? My intent here isn’t to whine because I need more rounds. In fact, I doubt if I would remove the “plug” from my shotgun if it were allowed. It’s just that this seems like the DFG doing something inane and preemptory because they can.

Second, there has been an influx of Eurasian collared dove noted in California. This bird is, if I gather correctly, an invasive species and is thought to be threatening native mourning dove and white-wing dove populations. From what I gather, DFG originally leaned toward classifying this bird as a “no-limit, no-season situation, because they don’t belong. In fact, every one of my dove-hunting buddies swears that there is no limit or season on them. Well, according to Mr. Game Warden, they are governed by the regular dove season now, and become part of your ten-bird limit. (Do any of you realize that English sparrows are a no-limit, no-season target of opportunity because they are considered invasive, like the starling? BOOOOOOOOOOORING). The best I could get out of the warden was a feeble, “I don’t make the laws, I just enforce ‘em”. Anyone care to take a stab a making sense of this?

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
You're trying to find "sense" in laws being passed in CA...that's an exercise in futility if I've ever seen one. The 3-shell rule for shotguns firing slugs is ridiculous and a perfect example of how the anti-hunting groups are slowly, insidiously, eroding away both our 2nd Amendment and hunting rights. If you are are crouched over in heavy brush while hunting hogs and a hole pack of them decides to try and run you over, having that 5th and 6th round might make a good deal of difference. Almost makes you wish some hunter would get seriously hurt as a result of this dumb law so he sues the state for a couple million dollars.

As for the doves; who knows? I never could hit the dang things, anyway, let alone pick out what type it was before I shot. They're just too little and move around too much for me to know if it was a white-wing or mourning dove...adding a third species to the challenge would give me a headache. :)

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
The DFG here is not half as bad as the other regualtory agencies like CARB and AQMD and Calforrnia Costal Commision (Ever seen a stupid gas can with no vent and a useless nozzel - thank CARB) I digress. I would be the first to bash the DFG but it is our elected govenment that is to blame for our demise and all the stupid gun laws.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In Missouri, the 3-shell limit for shotguns appears to apply to everything except when hunting deer with slugs.

As for who makes the rules: you do. Put your aggravation to good use. Call up the DFG, find out who proposes and passes these rules, and express your opinion that they should be changed. You might get an education about why these limits are the way they are, or you might educate them about the feelings of hunters in your state, who are ultimately their constituents. I have seen the democratic process work very well at the local and state levels, but you have to do your part. If you throw up your hands and do nothing, you are effectively signaling your agreement with whatever is handed down to you, and that's what makes the system fail.

·
Banned
510 Posts
Your "Game Warden" was woefully misinformed regarding the Asian Collared Dove. They are most certainly an invader, having moved from Florida to nearly every state including Alaska. He was correct about them only being available to hunt during the regular dove season, but he failed to know that they do not count in the daily ten bird bag limit. You can shoot as many as you want every day of the season.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm working on verifying that. The DFG isn't exactly accessible here.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Your "Game Warden" was woefully misinformed regarding the Asian Collared Dove. They are most certainly an invader, having moved from Florida to nearly every state including Alaska. He was correct about them only being available to hunt during the regular dove season, but he failed to know that they do not count in the daily ten bird bag limit. You can shoot as many as you want every day of the season.
THe federal government does not regulate the hunting of collared doves. They are regulated by the state which can do as it pleases. The reasoning probably is that most hunters will not be able to tell the diffgerence before pulling the trigger and afterwards it is too late. It is no different than pheasant/quail regulations or squirrel/rabbit. In cases where hunters are unable to distinguish differennt phases both are lumped together. Where it is easy to distinguish species, sex, age, etc. they are counted separetely.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You're trying to find "sense" in laws being passed in CA...that's an exercise in futility if I've ever seen one. The 3-shell rule for shotguns firing slugs is ridiculous and a perfect example of how the anti-hunting groups are slowly, insidiously, eroding away both our 2nd Amendment and hunting rights. If you are are crouched over in heavy brush while hunting hogs and a hole pack of them decides to try and run you over, having that 5th and 6th round might make a good deal of difference. Almost makes you wish some hunter would get seriously hurt as a result of this dumb law so he sues the state for a couple million dollars.

As for the doves; who knows? I never could hit the dang things, anyway, let alone pick out what type it was before I shot. They're just too little and move around too much for me to know if it was a white-wing or mourning dove...adding a third species to the challenge would give me a headache. :)
One can not sue the state because one gets hurt due to one's own stupidity. Furthermore the state has the perfect remedy. It could then ban hunting altogether on the grounds that it constituted an unreasonable financial risk for the state.

·
Banned
510 Posts
Collared Doves act differently, fly slower, and are larger than Mourning Doves. It is very easy to distinguish the species in the field. I didn't hunt doves this year but we had some guests at the ranch who shot over 70 birds, many of which were Collared. They have definitely become much more prevalent than in years past. A few years ago there weren't too many of them, but not now. They are increasing in population at a record rate.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
We have them too, we call them Pigeons, there are about 32 Billion of them around every grain elevator in the state, and there are a lot of grain elevators here.

There are no firearm capacity limits here, but no hunting with machine guns :(.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
We have lots of pigeons here, too, and no bag limits. Trouble is that the majority of them seem to be living under freeway overpasses! Might startle the traffic, and the professional homeless, when you start shooting.... :eek:

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
We have a bunch of the mud nesters here... I can't think of what their proper name is, but they build their rather gigantic nests (often times 500 strong) underneath any hanging edge. I guess they eat a lot mosquitoes, so that is good, but they sure make a mess.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Almost makes you wish some hunter would get seriously hurt as a result of this dumb law so he sues the state for a couple million dollars.
Wouldn't work, the state of CA doesn't have a couple million dollars - negative figures don't count.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
One can not sue the state because one gets hurt due to one's own stupidity. Furthermore the state has the perfect remedy. It could then ban hunting altogether on the grounds that it constituted an unreasonable financial risk for the state.
Sorry, I must have forgotten to turn on the sarcasm font. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.